Cali Kid Corals

What Temperature is Your Tank?

Around 80 while cycling and ugly stages. Faster metabolism for bacteria but also faster for algae. Coraline supposedly grows better at higher temperatures as well.

Once established, 76-77

Normally 78ish with a plus or minus one degree swing ..But during summer temp can climb to 82 to 84 since no aircon with no issues

Thanks for all the answers! Interesting to see what everyone keeps their tanks at. Mine has been 79-80 but I think I am going to lower it a little

Hate to be that guy, but our webmaster put in some work for the feature, and this looks like a great poll thread ;)

I used to shoot for 77, knowing it was easier to heat than cool the tank so I had more room for error (assuming "good" tank temp is 76-80 and knowing heat kills faster than cold). Now that I have solar and AC on the house is "free", I set the thermostat in the tank at 78 since that is what a fair amount of the literature out there says. That being said, the ocean sees relative large swings of everything compared to our tanks (normally), which I theorize may be a recipe for wimpy coral that can't withstand swings.

Back