Our mission

What's our longest chain?

In certain ways, I think the SGN (Schmucks Green Nepthea) represents the longest intact chain I personally know of, at around 15-16 years now. But within the DBTC program, is the SGN also the longest intact chain? Some of the threads are almost 3 years old!
Great program with a great bunch of participants!-Jim

Jim, the SGN frag that you gave me before you left for Tonga has grown over the years; in fact, I have two distinct stalks with healthy and beautiful branches. As you know, I'm taking a break from reefing. One stalk is going to a friend for "safekeeping". The other I'd like to put back in the DBTC program, but would like to give you 1st dib ... rightly so, it came from you! I'm happy it has a 15 -16 year lineage within the club.

LMK soon, I'm hoping for a dry tank in 2 weeks.

Jim

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2836.msg29999#msg29999 date=1200266821]
I personally am more curious in generations which is IMO more the spirit of DBTC then time.
[/quote]One side of me agrees with that, however Zoas and Palys grow like weeds, whereas something like Ricordia, or Chalice generally grow much slower in most cases. That and part of the DBTC spirit is ethical propagation, which involves growing the piece out into a viable colony before fragging, so there should be no rush to frag.

That being said, in going through the 9 pages of coral in the program it seems that a lot of pieces have fallen off the map. A disturbing fact. Weather it's a result of an early "cut and run" attitude, or just that people are too lazy to go beyond the second page to search for coral. Perhaps people that have second or third generations are not bumping the threads to get people to bite, or they want to hang on to the coral, I'm not sure (<-see Idiocracy and that phrase will be funny) what the story is.

Anyone?

Well according to my records, which I did forward to Norman quite a while ago, the oldest ones in
Leng Sy (Mr. Ugly) on 2/27/06 (no further generations)
Then a few days later the Pavona, Elkhorn Monti, and Efflo Ugliest went out which put out a couple generations, I think the Elkhorn did 4(?) although I don't have that recorded, I'm just going by my foggy memory.

As to the not seeing many go on, one reason why I asked people post in a central thread that something went on, and to post NEW messages to the existing thread rather than editing it (which doesn't bump). Some of it is cut and run I'm sure, although a lot of it is die off I'm sure, there were a handful of members getting a lions share of the "free corals" and if they had a tank meltdown that would do it. Although some of the reasons I wanted out had to do more with the lack of propagation on some of the "faster growing" and not seeing much return and not wanting to get personally involved (i.e. getting pissed off and telling people "hey don't you think you should give back a little more than ask?")

All I know is I am totally excited about my new tank. It is setup 100% to propogate DBTC and other potential DBTC items. I know I have been trying to get several DBTC frags (cause my coral portfolio is sorta ...lacking), but it will be returned in fold :)

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2836.msg29989#msg29989 date=1200258908]
Jim, By longest are you talking about length of time in the DBTC or how many generations?
[/quote]
I'm talking about the length of time in the program. Number of generations is a specious number for the reasons already mentioned.

Good to hear Gomer, a little advice, propagate any corals not just DBTC, after all it does look good also if you offer up corals as well as and often more so since it can take time to re-grow what you get. If you get corals from frag swaps, raffle prizes, whatever it is, simply grow them out and and see if people want them, hell I can't count the number of times I've accidentally fragged micropthalma or poccilipora type corals, who knows someone might actually want one!

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2836.msg30032#msg30032 date=1200280673]
Jim, By longest are you talking about length of time in the DBTC or how many generations?
[/quote]
I'm talking about the length of time in the program. Number of generations is a specious number for the reasons already mentioned.
[/quote]
Well to further add to this, by length of time in the program do you mean and still "active"? Because the longest was the Leng Sy cap, unless I screwed up in my database, and while it might be a slow grower it should have been sufficient time to re-distribute.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2836.msg30034#msg30034 date=1200280791]
[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2836.msg30032#msg30032 date=1200280673]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Well to further add to this, by length of time in the program do you mean and still "active"? Because the longest was the Leng Sy cap, unless I screwed up in my database, and while it might be a slow grower it should have been sufficient time to re-distribute.

[/quote]I do. Essentially the earliest coral offered up in the program that is still being offered up in the program. I realize the intervals between offerings will vary and I'm not looking at generations. Could be one person with 1 colony that has been offering up pieces for 3 years, even though noone else can keep the coral alive!
Just curious. I think the ugly efflo is at about 2 years iirc.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=832.0
Not coral but almost 2 years too :D .

Suck part is, it's harder to keep this thing alive than coral. I don't know why most of the frags gave out died pretty quickly. Hopefully you still have this Jim :) ..

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2836.msg30033#msg30033 date=1200280710]
Good to hear Gomer, a little advice, propagate any corals not just DBTC, after all it does look good also if you offer up corals as well as and often more so since it can take time to re-grow what you get. If you get corals from frag swaps, raffle prizes, whatever it is, simply grow them out and and see if people want them, hell I can't count the number of times I've accidentally fragged micropthalma or poccilipora type corals, who knows someone might actually want one!

[/quote]

I'll be fragging everything. Although I don't have much of the rare stuff, as a 1yr into the hobby "newbie", I can appreciate even non rares as I am sure other newbies would. Neon Toadstool would probably be my first DBTC since I will have enough to frag in about 1month.

Jim then you are correct, Bryan's efflo would fit that bill, hell I still have a piece of it, although I don't know if it's dead and covered with coraline or if it's genuinely purple (I don't see any branching as such it's very smooth, so I worry that the lack of polyps means it won't grow any). Norman's Elkhorn could also be in that same boat, it was growing quite weed-like for a while, and maybe no one else wanted a piece.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2836.msg30042#msg30042 date=1200283216]
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=832.0
Not coral but almost 2 years too :D .

Suck part is, it's harder to keep this thing alive than coral. I don't know why most of the frags gave out died pretty quickly. Hopefully you still have this Jim :) ..
[/quote]
I still have both species of macro doing quite well in my tank (thx!). Very pretty stuff and I should offer some more up.

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2836.msg29954#msg29954 date=1200212141]
Sure, that would be fun since I've currently given all mine out.
Thx and LMK what's convenient for you.
[/quote]

I'll be in touch. Best for me would be to drop it off ... in Albany, if that's where you're spending working hours these days. Pls PM me your work sched.

Mr. Ugly's indo superman and elkhorn monti are also in the very old category. Heck the elkhorn now in my tank is like GSP. I constantly am breaking off pieces and it sprouts up somewhere else in my tank.

That friggin efflo (if it makes it past the first couple of days) grows fast as heck too. I would up getting rid of the whole colony but has a small pencap sized piece that got left in the tank when I took out the mother colony. It is now the size of the cok can lid.

Back