Reef nutrition

When do you feel comfortable not to QT new fish.

When NOT to QT fish?

• I always QT Fish and trust no one.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • From a friend that has a clean system.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • From Biota Group

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • From LFS with a QT procedure (ex. Bay Bridge)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • From a local fish breeder

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Looking to source a few fish after my fallow period. Wanted to get thoughts on when to QT fish. thanks!

You can select multiple answers.

At this point I’d rather not buy fish than have to QT/treat them myself. I’ve decided recently (in the past couple years) to only buy fish from sellers who I’m reasonably confident are selling me disease free fish. That can mean a few different things but a couple months ago I went all-in with this approach and bought from Dr Reef’s Quarantined Fish, and it worked out well. I’ve also bought fish with confidence from breeders like Biota and a local breeder who supplies Biota.

15 - 20 years ago, never a QT with no issues. Never heard of anyone else having problems. Perhaps it was an issue never mentioned in polite company. With a few exceptions, all my livestock was adopted off Craigslist. When I got back in the hobby last year, I read nothing but horror stories of tank wipe-outs. So I suspect disease is a bigger problem than it was when I was bought a yellow tang for $15 at the LFS. Now, everything that swims comes from Dr. Reef. Frags/inverts go into 76 day QT, but I have had to reset the clock every time AquaSD had a sale.

Another vote for “always QT fish”. For me, it is pretty easy to do using TTM and observation. Pre-covid, the toughest part was finding a 3 week period where I was home and not traveling. Other than that…easy peas.

I am doing a hybrid TTM on all new fish - using H202 - I also feed prazi/metro mix for 3 weeks.
Inverts I am doing at 82 degrees for 35 days.

For corals - I dont have a great plan yet - I have two separate tanks, so I am using those as holding tanks for now - and will evaluate as I go. I have mollies in those tanks to hopefully show any ICH or velvet as early as possible.

I just buy them QT'd from a handful of vendors. Sometimes you have to order a fish and it takes a while but its nice to not have to worry about it.

I could do it myself but I don't want to take up space with another tank.

Back