Our mission

Where to buy a 30" x 30" x 12" glass tank?

Since my effort to buy a used 30' x 30' frag tank yield empty, i am considering the next option, which is buying it new. For new one, I am aiming at more specific spec., and am thinking about buying a 30' x 30' x 12-16' glass ringless tank with overflow, preferrable (not necessary) with starfire front panel and black silicon. So far I see glass cage selling such tank for $500 (including shipping), but it must be picked up in LA or at further locations:(. Do experts here have some other better suggestions? Also, where can I get a reasonable stand for such a tank? Thanks!

Btw, I am going to plumb it together with my current 120G tank. i am not sure if i am going to use this as a frag tank, or just another display tank. I think it will be cool to have two display tanks side by side, one front view and one top view.

Guess what, I just picked up the tank. Unfortunately, the cube stand does not fit in my SUV, so I have to have the seller deliver it to me tomorrow. I knew something like this will happen, I started thinking about a slightly larger frag tank, and ending up with an almost full sized 70g cube. I knew I should never think about change anything in my setup.

If any mod can help moving this thread to tank journals forum, I will update the status of this tank along the way. Given my working schedule and amount of work I like to do on it, it might be a while before it will be up and running. This will make this thread the earlist starting thread, 3 hours before the tank was even known to me.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tank. The size is 30" x 30" x 18". 3 side starfire.

tonggao said:
Since my effort to buy a used 30' x 30' frag tank yield empty, i am considering the next option, which is buying it new. For new one, I am aiming at more specific spec., and am thinking about buying a 30' x 30' x 12-16' glass ringless tank with overflow, preferrable (not necessary) with starfire front panel and black silicon. So far I see glass cage selling such tank for $500 (including shipping), but it must be picked up in LA or at further locations:(. Do experts here have some other better suggestions? Also, where can I get a reasonable stand for such a tank? Thanks!

Btw, I am going to plumb it together with my current 120G tank. i am not sure if i am going to use this as a frag tank, or just another display tank. I think it will be cool to have two display tanks side by side, one front view and one top view.

30 FOOT by 30 FOOT? Damn man plan big dont'chyah :p

Lol Gresh, if I had a 30 foot by 30 foot tank, I might need to buy half of the local RN supply, which will make you a very happy person ;) . Well, my mistake, and I stand corrected, I was looking for 30" x 30" tank.

Thanks Phong. The seller bought the tank from someone else about a year ago, and that person used it for a couple of years before selling to him. All he knows is it was made in socal. It is a little funky, with the front to be half inch starfire, back half inch regular glass, and two sides 3/8 inch starfire. The bottom is made of tempered glass and is definitely thicker than half an inch (I did not measure it). Is it normal for a tank to be built with so many different type/thickness glasses?

Since the back is half an inch, I cannot use the Vortech mp10 that I pre-ordered :~. So I just called auqacave to cancel my order, and am seriously thinking about buying two Vortech mp20. What do you guys think? I hate to think that the pumps are more expensive than the tank/stand :( .

I'm wondering if that is a DIY tank. Since all 4 sides are the same dimesions, I don't think a good tank maker would use different glass thickness. Hopefully that thing doesn't bow. Fill it up with water right away man.. :)

Phong, you are making me nervous now. Would a 3/8 inch glass bow with only 18" tall? Anyone else seen a tank with front/back glass thicker than side glass?

I don't think glass can bow? break or nothing right? I think its the same size as my zero edge.....would like to see how you set it up :) did you get a good deal?

Alnold, is your tank glass? I thought it is acrylic.

I am thinking about put it in place of my current 20G frag tank. I am thinking about simple setting, connected together with my main tank through a shared sump (the same way as my current frag tank), and put a couple of Vortech mp20 in the back. I recently bought a new 150w new viper light for the 20G frag tank, and it probably will not be strong enough for the new tank :(. I probably will use a 250w lighting.

The price paid is $460 for the tank and stand (ok condition, I probably will repaint it black to match my main tank). Not sure if it is a good deal. What do you think?

mine is not glass...but only 12in high. not a bad price. I think a 250 would be better for light. I will see you sunday at bacfm

Need expert's opinion quick since I am pulling the trigger in a few hours: Should I get one Vortech MP40w or two Vortech MP10? They are about the same price. If I go with MP40w, it is just one device on the tank, can mount it on any side of the tank (I can only mount MP10 on the side since front/back is half inch thick, which is too thich for MP10), but is bigger and probably harder to fine control the water flow in the tank?

Arnold, what time are you getting to bacfm?

Looking forward to following this thread. I don't qualify as an expert but I can see pros/ cons of both approaches. Having one 40 on the back panel would make it a clean looking tank you, you could do a one-way gyre affect.

Back