Cali Kid Corals

which 2 part dosing is the best?

Hi reefers i wanted to know which 2 part dosing you guys recomend i started my tank 1 month ago and i been buying my saltwater from my local LFS and my magnesium , alkalinity, calcium are pretty low and wanted to start dosing to get it stable and reach the number to start adding lps corals which brand you guys recomend?

There isn’t a "best"

I used B-Ionic for many years successfully. Tried and true. I would recommend it to all newish hobbyists.

For the past 3 years or so I’ve been more serious about SPS and LPS, with a much more complex (and expensive) setup, and am using Triton successfully.

if you like DIY solutions, there are tons out there like from BRS and Randy Holmes-Farley that people like. Personally I prefer pre-mixed solutions that have all the trace elements already.

If i decide to make my own saltwater will my parameters be were i want them? since my LFS saltwater Calcium , magnesium, alkalinity is low. My numbers are crazy low at the moment

Yes, you will have to put up with the cost for the salt you are buying. Some are not cheap. I’d rather dose to meet my need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like Bionic. They are well balanced and allow you to dose on equal quantities to take the guess work out..
I also used redsea but what I did not like about the red sea was their CA had strontium as well which I did not like..

Last edited:
I'd just use kalkwasser an all in one, you can dose it to your water before putting it in your tank, let the pH stabilize then dump it in, maybe add some off the shelf magnesium to tie it all together.

If i decide to make my own saltwater will my parameters be were i want them? since my LFS saltwater Calcium , magnesium, alkalinity is low. My numbers are crazy low at the moment
Just to be clear, your Alk and Ca values are probably crazy low because of consumption by your coral as opposed to bad starting saltwater. I mean it’s possible but pretty unlikely. That‘s why pretty much everyone who wants to grow stony coral has to supplement Alk and Ca. B-Ionic or similar are really easy to use.

There are some saltwater mixes with artificially high Alk and Ca that allow you to just use water changes instead of supplements if you have only few stony corals. Examples include Reef Crystals and Red Sea Coral Pro (black).

Last edited:
Hi reefers i wanted to know which 2 part dosing you guys recomend i started my tank 1 month ago and i been buying my saltwater from my local LFS and my magnesium , alkalinity, calcium are pretty low and wanted to start dosing to get it stable and reach the number to start adding lps corals which brand you guys recomend?
Let’s start with what are your ca alk and mg?

Have you tested the water you buy?
What are they at if so?

Do you know what salt mix the store you buy from uses for the water you buy?

You can use many differently salt mixes to get the ca alk mg you want. What values would you like to have for those parameter?

There are two things here to think about. One, your water changes and two, your element consumption. They can be interlinked, but water changes typically won't keep up with consumption.

Your salt mix, and which one to pick, is a discussion in of itself. Personally, I use Tropic Marin Reef salt. I know people who use many brands. There are lots of theories on whether to do water changes to manage waste removal and such, but that is a deep discussion. Some of your trace elements will be replenished with just water changes...but usually not enough to keep up with the coral consumption.

For your element consumption, there are the basics (or big 3)...alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Then there are trace elements. Products like Bionic don't really have trace elements in them...they focus on the big 2 or 3 and often referred to as the "two part" or "three part" dosing. You can add trace elements if you want. You need to replenish these regularly, beyond water changes, because your corals are absorbing them out of the water. The other way to replace the big two (alkalinity and calcium) is a calcium reactor. Bionic is a great product and been around a very long time...since the 90s. But you can make your own if you want. Bulk Reef Supply provides pharmacy grade concentrated elements in a powder form that you simply mix with RO water in a gallon or quart jug and dose.

Then there are the trace elements. There are lots of ways to dose these..by hand, by dosing 3 or 4 part offerings or individually. The one I use is the Triton Core7 method. Even when dosing a 3 or 4 part regiment, you still may need to dose individual elements because your corals are consuming more than you are dosing...like iodine, strontium, etc. What is great, we have the ICP testing today that helps identify which elements you may be under or over dosing. Some test kits measure the trace elements..and others don't do it very well.

There are a lot of moving parts on the chemistry. When you are first starting out, I would encourage you to read the beginners sticky threads on Reef2Reef. They will be very helpful. We can help you here too...and you are always welcome to call me directly if you like...to answer your questions. PM me if you want...

Products like Bionic don't really have trace elements in them...they focus on the big 2 or 3 and often referred to as the "two part" or "three part" dosing.
Nice discussion, but this one part is a little incomplete. Although B-Ionic likely isn’t the optimal ratio of trace element supplementation for growing coral since we have learned a lot since it was developed, it definitely does have them. They don’t say how much and what elements, but neither does Triton or others. From their website:

“In addition to supplying highly concentrated calcium and carbonate alkalinity required for calcification, B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System is also formulated to provide all other important major, minor, and trace elements in the proper ratios to duplicate the composition of synthetic seawater. As a result, B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System will help restore inorganic ions lost from protein skimming and help maintain the ionic balance of your aquarium water.”

In my mind there is a big difference between B-Ionic, which has some trace elements, vs DIY and BRS Ca/Alk 2-parts which have none at all.

Nice discussion, but this one part is a little incomplete. Although B-Ionic likely isn’t the optimal ratio of trace element supplementation for growing coral since we have learned a lot since it was developed, it definitely does have them. They don’t say how much and what elements, but neither does Triton or others. From their website:

In addition to supplying highly concentrated calcium and carbonate alkalinity required for calcification, B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System is also formulated to provide all other important major, minor, and trace elements in the proper ratios to duplicate the composition of synthetic seawater. As a result, B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System will help restore inorganic ions lost from protein skimming and help maintain the ionic balance of your aquarium water.

In my mind there is a big difference between B-Ionic, which has some trace elements, vs DIY and BRS Ca/Alk 2-parts which have none at all.
John..you are right. B-Ionic formulas change and they do offer some level of trace elements. The DIY definitely do not have trace elements.

“In addition to supplying highly concentrated calcium and carbonate alkalinity required for calcification, B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System is also formulated to provide all other important major, minor, and trace elements in the proper ratios to duplicate the composition of synthetic seawater. As a result, B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System will help restore inorganic ions lost from protein skimming and help maintain the ionic balance of your aquarium water.”

I was wondering how long this has been the case/if this was new since Scott had used it.
I don’t use it because it’s too expensive, but I also don’t like that you’d be guessing how much is in there.
That said I have plenty of clients that have used it over the years and it seems to work well.

I was wondering how long this has been the case/if this was new since Scott had used it.
I don’t use it because it’s too expensive, but I also don’t like that you’d be guessing how much is in there.
That said I have plenty of clients that have used it over the years and it seems to work well.
It is sort of like Prego..."its in there..." This has always been a big issue with these products. There are so many "trace element" products that are mostly water. Kent products were notorious for this. Red Sea used to be junk ...but now they are much better...they learned fast because people caught on. The instructions say "add 10ml per 10 gal of water" and you have no idea what you are adding and its impact because you have to be able to measure the content and the rate of change over time.

That is what is so amazing about the ICP test...you can know exactly what is in there...and what you need to add. Albeit, Triton elements are expensive, but it isn't a guessing game anymore...which is why I chose to use it. I like the very prescriptive, scientific way they recommend additions or removals based on your tests. The Triton ICP testing isn't perfect because any one test can show elements that might create concern and the next test they are gone or completely changed and you have done nothing to change it. For example, one test said I had very high Cr...usually caused by a rusting part...I went looking all over for it...never found the culprit...next test..value back to normal. Who knows...

With all the companies and their "secret formula" it is ridiculous. It is marketing at its finest and little has changed in this regard.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with all of that. I’m hoping the icp test will improve with some more time since they are still fairly new. I haven’t done one myself but have seen several.
Kinda like any test kit, gotta take it with a grain of salt, but yeah super cool all the things they can test for.
Does anybody buy powders and mix their own trace elements? I totally hate paying to have plastic bottles of mostly water shipped around.

Yeah I agree with all of that. I’m hoping the icp test will improve with some more time since they are still fairly new. I haven’t done one myself but have seen several.
Kinda like any test kit, gotta take it with a grain of salt, but yeah super cool all the things they can test for.
Does anybody buy powders and mix their own trace elements? I totally hate paying to have plastic bottles of mostly water shipped around.
Have you ever seen the ICP machine? It is very expensive and specifically at the "scientist" level. Precision introduces possible misreads.

Check this out...UniqueCorals has the machine and they are the master importer for Triton products...ICP Test Machine

Here are some details about ICP testing...basically you are vaporizing the water and then checking for levels in the water...ICP Testing Overview

Last edited:
Have you ever seen the ICP machine? It is very expensive and specifically at the "scientist" level. Precision introduces possible misreads.

Check this out...UniqueCorals has the machine and they are the master importer for Triton products...ICP Test Machine

Here are some details about ICP testing...basically you are vaporizing the water and then checking for levels in the water...ICP Testing Overview
I’ve certainly read about it before, but thanks for the links. Kinda seems like you’re saying the tech can’t improve cause it’s so good already maybe?

Back