Reef nutrition

Who doses phytoplankton? (Or has)

L/B Block

Supporting Member
Curious how many people dose phytoplankton or have -and their experience with it in terms of coral growth & nutrient changes (n/p)
Also did you create your own (not interested) or commercial product (and recommend or not)

Thanks.

I dose 150mls per about 100 gallons for established systems. I am still dosing po4 and no3 on a doser to keep nutrients detectable, so take from that what you will.

I am attempting to expand my operation, but right now it’s just homemade nanno. I am looking to get some tetraselmis cultures to start incorporating.

It isn’t something that is going to magically cure corals and make them color up like never before.

My opinion, it’s the basis of a food web that is feeding something. I believe that something is good and works its way up the food web.

Is it needed for a successful reef tank, absolutely not. Do I believe it improves the health of the biome, absolutely.

I plan to increase my dosing to 250ml per 100 gals by next month.

I’ve dosed phyto for about 2 years. I think I hit all the major details.

I did the reef nutrition phyto feast alive and found that to increase nutrients at very small dosages (5ml/100g). I stopped and switched to my own because after looking at it through a microscope, nothing appeared to be alive. So I think a lot decays and just goes back into the water IMO.

Pic of tank and day 1 of phyto culture

681EF46C-A773-4416-9E36-2E55B69485BF.jpeg
C52C3218-67A7-41A4-9BF8-B93014514DDC.jpeg

Last edited:
I dose 150mls per about 100 gallons for established systems. I am still dosing po4 and no3 on a doser to keep nutrients detectable, so take from that what you will.

I am attempting to expand my operation, but right now it’s just homemade nanno. I am looking to get some tetraselmis cultures to start incorporating.

It isn’t something that is going to magically cure corals and make them color up like never before.

My opinion, it’s the basis of a food web that is feeding something. I believe that something is good and works its way up the food web.

Is it needed for a successful reef tank, absolutely not. Do I believe it improves the health of the biome, absolutely.

I plan to increase my dosing to 250ml per 100 gals by next month.

I’ve dosed phyto for about 2 years. I think I hit all the major details.

I did the reef nutrition phyto feast alive and found that to increase nutrients at very small dosages (5ml/100g). I stopped and switched to my own because after looking at it through a microscope, nothing appeared to be alive. So I think a lot decays and just goes back into the water IMO.

Pic of tank and day 1 of phyto culture

View attachment 44137View attachment 44138
Hey Hunter, if you want some rubble from my refugium let me know.. It was seeded from 3 different tanks. Not entirely pest free but shouldn't be crazy bad.

Back