Kessil

Who has the largest collection of chalice corals private or retail?

@Coral reefer how many different chalices do you have?? Most of mine are new and on the grow out, or I don’t have time to frag them...
I have a lot of newer ones as well over the last 8 months or so. I am pretty sure I’ve gone over 100. Very close if not there yet.
The point of this wasn’t to brag tho. I am honestly looking for larger collections to check out and learn from mainly.

@Coral reefer That’s enough chalices that you might be able to start classifying them as different types/species by observing and comparing them. I think we posted about it before but there isn’t a lot of formal info out there on the different named chalices’ species classification/requirements.

There are a large number of just the named red/blue rainbow chalices out there. I have been collecting some of those to see what the differences are (really) after they are grown in the same tank conditions. So far I can tell you there are at least four truly different colored red/blue chalices. Unless you also count my red/blue/purple rainbow then there are five... I’m agonizing how to cut this to preserve all the colors.

3bd5d47a22e4163812fc541742364b7f.jpg

@Coral reefer That’s enough chalices that you might be able to start classifying them as different types/species by observing and comparing them. I think we posted about it before but there isn’t a lot of formal info out there on the different named chalices’ species classification/requirements.

There are a large number of just the named red/blue rainbow chalices out there. I have been collecting some of those to see what the differences are (really) after they are grown in the same tank conditions. So far I can tell you there are at least four truly different colored red/blue chalices. Unless you also count my red/blue/purple rainbow then there are five... I’m agonizing how to cut this to preserve all the colors.

Wowee!
Seems like with quick online snooping there are maybe 6 types of chalice corals. Haven’t done any real research in books or anything. Once they grow out I’d be happy to donate some skeletons to study if someone smart wanted to. I’ve definitely collected some that I don’t think I’ll want to keep long term. Some affordable ones I look at like lotto tickets where maybe they’ll wind up being something cool, maybe not, but for the price it’s can be worth it sometimes.

I’m thinking a hole saw ;)

Back