Jestersix

Who here is also a diver? Pics or vids to share?

I want to get my license but didn’t want to do the certification in CT in the Long Island sound. But I have done the discovery dives in Fiji, Costa Rica, and Columbia. Fiji was cool since it was beach entry, walking out to dive instead of jumping off a boat was pretty fun, we didn’t need to stop at 10’ since it was such a gradual depth increase.

Has anyone dived around the Bay Area? There’s cold water anemones to see, right?

I want to get my license but didn’t want to do the certification in CT in the Long Island sound. But I have done the discovery dives in Fiji, Costa Rica, and Columbia. Fiji was cool since it was beach entry, walking out to dive instead of jumping off a boat was pretty fun, we didn’t need to stop at 10’ since it was such a gradual depth increase.

Has anyone dived around the Bay Area? There’s cold water anemones to see, right?
Yep-- I was certified in Monterey. Cold! cool stars and anemones, yes. Also, Kelp Forest is pretty awesome, but that's a boat dive.

I’m not sure if you’ve heard of the game subnautica, but after playing that kelp forests pretty much terrify me. But I am a mild thalassophobiak already
I'm not sure I'd do it again -- there was an otter who ( I think) had in for me...would not let me near a a certain spot. dive master said she was probably a new mom.

Anyone do diving in Indonesia? Nusa penida and gili t are great places if you wanna see sunfish, manta rays and miles and miles of beautiful coral. We should do a BAR dive trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone do diving in Indonesia? Nusa penida and gili t are great places if you wanna see sunfish, manta rays and miles and miles of beautiful coral. We should do a BAR dive trip :)

Indo, Philippines, and the Red Sea are my bucket list dives! Some day...

usually discovery dives dont need safety stops since you dont go or stay deep enough right? or did the requirements and procedures change.... were you strapped to a dive master during your trip? haha

usually discovery dives dont need safety stops since you dont go or stay deep enough right? or did the requirements and procedures change.... were you strapped to a dive master during your trip? haha

Limit is 30’ I believe? The beach entry was with a group with two dive masters, one at the front and one at the back. The other two dives were with a dive master and just one other person. For the two boat ones I remember having to do one stop on the way up, but I’m not positive. I just followed the dive master and focused on the other things like breathing and checking out fish

@Mike Yasin which aquarium did you dive in with the sharks?

Limit is 30’ I believe? The beach entry was with a group with two dive masters, one at the front and one at the back. The other two dives were with a dive master and just one other person. For the two boat ones I remember having to do one stop on the way up, but I’m not positive. I just followed the dive master and focused on the other things like breathing and checking out fish

@Mike Yasin which aquarium did you dive in with the sharks?

Maui Ocean Center.

Next one I want to do is the Georgia Aquarium.... they have Whale Sharks!!

Got licensed in Monterey too. Cold as hell. Did a couple of dives in the Bahamas.
We did the coursework and pool dives here, but then went to Maui to get the final certification for that very reason. And my excuse was that my daughter was only 12 at the time and I didn’t want her to get dismayed or quit cuz of the cold and the extra weight, etc.

Yep-- I was certified in Monterey. Cold! cool stars and anemones, yes. Also, Kelp Forest is pretty awesome, but that's a boat dive.

I was also certified in Monterey. I made the GREAT decision to get certified in January. I think the water temp was 39°F when we did my certification dive...

Currently trying to dig out the pictures, but so far I've been diving in:

• Monterey, CA (Breakwater and Metridium Fields)
  • Kerama Islands (Okinawa, Japan; got to see a ton of banded kraits!)
  • Keding (Taiwan)
  • St. Croix (US Virgin Islands)
    • Singling out the bioluminescent night dive here because it was GORGEOUS.
  • Kona, HI
    • Did the Manta Ray Night Dive...which I highly recommend. We saw seven of them on our dive, and they came so close to us I literally had to duck my head a few times to avoid being bumped into
  • Maui, HI
    • Turtle Bay once, Molokini Crater twice. Molokini Crater was, by far, my favorite dive I've ever done...particularly since we saw a humpback whale in the crater with us.
My bucket list is to dive Ras Mohammed and Sharm el Sheikh on the Red Sea. I became interested in coral and diving because of growing up and hearing my dad's stories of snorkeling on the Red Sea, and it is a fervent wish of mine to not just get to dive there, but make a Red Sea biotope tank in his memory.

• Kona, HI
    • Did the Manta Ray Night Dive...which I highly recommend. We saw seven of them on our dive, and they came so close to us I literally had to duck my head a few times to avoid being bumped into
  • Maui, HI
    • Turtle Bay once, Molokini Crater twice. Molokini Crater was, by far, my favorite dive I've ever done...particularly since we saw a humpback whale in the crater with us.
My bucket list is to dive Ras Mohammed and Sharm el Sheikh on the Red Sea. I became interested in coral and diving because of growing up

We both must have Mid. Eastern dads--- same here with dad's stories about catching rides across Jordan to play at the beach

We both must have Mid. Eastern dads--- same here with dad's stories about catching rides across Jordan to play at the beach

He was actually born and raised here in the bay area. When he was 18 (late 60's), he lived in Israel for a couple years on a kibbutz and got to go snorkeling in the Red Sea a few different times during his time off. He was given the option to stay on, but all his family was in the US so he decided to come back.

Back