Cali Kid Corals

Will 2x Maxspect XF350's be enough for a 48"x30"x20" peninsula?

kinetic

Supporting Member
The peninsula tank I'm planning (48x30x20-ish) I'm thinking of running two Maxspect XF350's on the short wall so that it would need to reach all the way to the front. Will that be enough for a SPS tank?

Minimal rockwork, SPS towards the middle with anemone island at the lower flow areas (magnifica and some BTAs).

Agree, you are basically designing my system. Come on by and let's chat about what works and what doesn't. Or if Sunnyvale is too far, I have a journal post on flow. There are some details which make what I am doing work, like trying to move all the water volume in one direction to get some general overall motion (laminar-ish flow), then using specific powerheads to blow opposite that to create turbulence. Also, I have one powerhead which points at the rock bottoms to blow through the substrate.

Short answer, those will help with the laminar flow, but not the turbulent, add 2-3 tunze's on top of it and yes.

Last edited:
Also, have you bought them yet? I would sell you my old ones at whatever you thought was fair and include all my extra parts.

I originally ran two icecak gyre 2k on my 48x24 peninsula, vertically on each side of the overflow. The flow was able to reach the ends but was too directional. I ended up putting two Nero powerheads on the other end which helped flow randomness immensely by crashing against each other. Corals were much happier.

Agree, you are basically designing my system. Come on by and let's chat about what works and what doesn't. Or if Sunnyvale is too far, I have a journal post on flow. There are some details which make what I am doing work, like trying to move all the water volume in one direction to get some general overall motion (laminar-ish flow), then using specific powerheads to blow opposite that to create turbulence. Also, I have one powerhead which points at the rock bottoms to blow through the substrate.

Short answer, those will help with the laminar flow, but not the turbulent, add 2-3 tunze's on top of it and yes.
I was thinking of this:

Gyre A mounted horizontally close to surface of water
Gyre B mounted horizontally close to the bottom of tank

Schedule:
1. Gyre A runs in forward, Gyre B runs in reverse (creating a gyre)
2. Then Gyre B runs forward, should create some turbulence since it would fight Gyre A
3. Then Gyre A runs in reverse, having the gyre flow reverse
4. Repeat

I was thinking there would be laminar for a few minutes, then turbulent, then laminar in the reverse, turbulent, then laminar again

This is all in theory, and who knows if it would work. But do you think this just isn't enough turbulent flow?

Also, have you bought them yet? I would sell you my old ones at whatever you thought was fair and include all my extra parts.

I haven't bought them yet! I really appreciate the offer, I may take you up on it, though I am thinking of just buying everything fresh off the shelf when the time comes (plus the nem guards).

@kinetic
If possible
I highly recommend a 24” tall
Fish need room to swim over the reef

If I end up going with a Reef Savvy tank, I'll have them build it 24", but I'm possibly going with the ELOS 120XL, which stops at 21.5" or so. Also, I'm going to have very minimal rock work, so there will be A LOT of space between rock and top of the water. I'm looking to allow the corals to grow and create the structure a lot more than the rock. May take awhile, but at least it'll have a very minimal look to start.

what do you mean "facing each other"? And what is the size of your tank?
Which tank? Lol. I use the same setup across several tanks. 48x18x24...36x36x20 to name a few.

I just realized that your tank is a peninsula so might not be as attractive... but in mine i have one gyre on opposite sides of each other near the surface and have them randomly fire. When they fire together, you get random flow /turbulence generated.

In my previous peninsula (48x18x24) I had a single xf280 and 2 MP10s on the overflow side and the return ran over the tank and drop in on the far opposite end of the tank to help disturb the current and create turbulence.

Edit: forgot that I also had a XF230 ran on a low pulse setup on a timer for 2 hours in the evening and 2 hrs early morning for nutrient export

@H2OPlayar has a great setup for flow and his coral growth is awesome. I think whether you buy his equipment or not would be worth checking out to help gain an idea of what you’re trying to achieve.

Assuming I get the ELOS 120XL, it has a QuietDrain with two returns (upper and lower). Then I was thinking of adding the gyres and I guess two vortechs in one of these configurations:

Option A

Option 1.jpg

Option B

Option 2.jpg

Option C

Option 3.jpg

I'm leaning towards Option A

I guess there could be other configurations, what do you think?

Two Maxspect XF350 is going to be more than enough flow. You won’t need the MP40s. I ran two Maxspect XF350 on my 120g 48x48x12 frag tank at only 50-70%. I prefer VorTechs tho since I’m not a fan of the Maxspect driver and needing to buy the Syna-G Connect Controller if you want wifi ability. I also prefer no wires inside the tank for a cleaner look.

my tank is almost the same foot print as your new tank 48x30 and i use two jebao MCP-180 (wifi sync) at top of the tank and two SOW-20 at bottom back corner to move the water at bottom. not recommend this if you are not doing BB.

Two Maxspect XF350 is going to be more than enough flow. You won’t need the MP40s. I ran two Maxspect XF350 on my 120g 48x48x12 frag tank at only 50-70%. I prefer VorTechs tho since I’m not a fan of the Maxspect driver and needing to buy the Syna-G Connect Controller if you want wifi ability. I also prefer no wires inside the tank for a cleaner look.
I don't think I'll need the WiFi for the Maxspect, but it would be handy during water changes or what not to just turn them off while doing some maintenance.

Would two Vortech MP40's work in replacement of two XF350's? I wanted the Gyres to really move water around the front, but I guess MP40's could do it. I used to have two MP40s on my old ELOS 120, and they did just fine.

Back