Our mission

Will this work to catch my Wrasse and maybe Damsel

Alexx

Supporting Member
Hi,
So I improvised a bottle fish trap but not sure if this will work. But I know when I was a kid I was catching small fishes like this.
I want to get the Wrasse and maybe the damsel out of my system cuz they are aggressive on the fire fish.
The damsel is not hitting him but his keep going close to him if the Firefish is getting to his area.

Not sure why I did not listen to @Bruce Spiegelman when he told me not to get one :D

But they are not really fighting with any other fishes. The fire fish was added in the past 4 weeks.

I had the bottle there for 4 days with nothing in it but no fishes went in. Now I added some food but it seems the fishes are not interested in getting in. I saw the wrasse traying to eat the food from outside but no interest in going in.

Here are some images and where I placed the bottle.
IMG_7537.JPG
IMG_7539.JPG

Last edited:
I think the fish may swim out on you while trying to retrieve the trap. But having the food moving around in the trap gets them in there for me. I usually use a frozen food or live brine if I can find it. FYI I have a fish trap you could borrow.

I think the fish may swim out on you while trying to retrieve the trap. But having the food moving around in the trap gets them in there for me. I usually use a frozen food or live brine if I can find it. FYI I have a fish trap you could borrow.
Where are you located?
Aaa I see you're in plesenton :D, that's a bit to far for me to get the trap and try that way.
I'll see what I can do with this.

I've had some success this the bottle trick...but you have to have patience and make it really enticing for them to go in.

Try stop feed for a day or two and then do the bottle trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm really afraid that if I do that he will actually eat my firefish. His fins are already damaged. And I think he killed and eat a molly that I had in the tank as well, but not sure, cuz I did not see he was attacking the molly I just found him dead.

your wrasse and damsel are not attacking the fire fish for food...they are very territorial! Besides the trap try redoing the rockwork to see if that helps the aggression. My6 line only chases new fish for a day or 2 in my 120. Also I prefer to add multiple new fish so not all the focus is on 1 fish.

Can you do a big water change? Or at least get a brute can to collect a bunch of water? Drain the tank as low as possible, use your sump to hold some of it too, and then catching fish is a lot easier.
... I can do a water change but this guy is going int the rocks it is a nightmare only thinking about catching him.

take the rock with the fish in it out of water and hold over a net and or bucket
eventually the fish will wiggle out

or try to remove the hide rock before the fish gets into it

or wait until night when fish are sleeping and grab them then

good luck

Well I got 2 news one is good and the other is bad.
The good news is that the trap worked, but when I got home the wrasse was death in the bottle. Damm....
I think the food that I placed in there got toxic since it stayed there for like 3 day's and he had to stay there for who knows how much time.

he did not had other issues beside attacking my fire fish. Kinda sad that I don't have him anymore... And frustrated. I was planning to remove him from the tank and keep him in a different tank for 4 weeks then put him back and see how he was doing...

Back