Neptune Aquatics

XR15 G5 PAR

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
Was talking to @Mozby about this. I got a new XR15 to put over my frag tank. At 100% intensity and 9” over the tank, I measured ~150 PAR in the center about 11” down (so 20” from the light). It seems very low. Thoughts?

Was talking to @Mozby about this. I got a new XR15 to put over my frag tank. At 100% intensity and 9” over the tank, I measured ~150 PAR in the center about 11” down (so 20” from the light). It seems very low. Thoughts?

I have a new in box xr15 blue. Want to plug mine in and try it? See if it's any different than yours.

It this the blue version?

If so, that's probably right...blue doesn't register as much PAR despite intensity / lux. Diffuser will also knock off 20%

That doesn’t sound right. Even running AB+ at 50% at 11” with an XR15 blue, I think I was getting around 150 par. This is with the lights around 9” off the water. Unfortunately, I don’t have my par meter with me now to confirm, but I remember testing my 12” high tank before I put in some torches a few weeks ago.

It this the blue version?

If so, that's probably right...blue doesn't register as much PAR despite intensity / lux. Diffuser will also knock off 20%
Not quite true. The 510 model is actually sensitive to those shorter wavelengths.

I agree it looks low, BUT the whole layout of LEDs is drastically different with the G5s vs. prior gens, but I do seem to recall seeing a BRS video on the xr30 and it was quite a bit more than that, like way more than double 150.

My thought is make sure the programming sticks, I don't know how Mobius works vs Ecosmart, but the Ecosmart you had to update your program changes, it takes a second for the light to respond. A quick check is to plug it into a Kill-a-watt meter if you have one laying around, just verify that it is in fact putting out roughly 100 watts.

I forgot I still had my seneye laying around. This is a 12” tall tank. Running AB+ at 100%.

64E67209-9919-4954-BF8C-B1B3ECCC1132.jpeg

2A1A177A-A0DA-480D-BECA-FBDBB6731E84.jpeg

Last edited:
I am using the same light rails as RandyC (shown above) with the G5 Blue and measured well over 300PAR with the clubs meter this weekend.

Watch the BRS video on the xr-15
. With the light mounted 9 inches above the water and measured 6 inches below the water, the center par is 268. Measuring 11 inches below the water, 150 PAR doesn't sound wrong.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 1.27.47 PM.png

Also in this video
they show measurements at 6inches, 12 inches, 18inches (not at full power but just so you get an idea of how much PAR is lost with increased depth). As you can see at 12 inches below the water you lose almost half of what is at 6inches. So if 6inches full power is 268 then 11 inches at 150 sounds right.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 1.37.36 PM.png

Last edited:
Back