High Tide Aquatics

Yellow tang prices to come back down to earth

Yes! I wasn't holding my breathe when that was first being considered. But glad it went through! Though I hope this doesn't mean folks go nuts to a detriment.

Having an active yellow tang definitely brings more color to the tank, hopefully we will see the price reduction soon.

That was one of my shock coming back to the hobby, can’t believe how expensive a yellow tang is.

I wouldn't hold my breath over prices coming down too quickly, once businesses get a taste of those high prices they don't tend to want to drop them too quickly, hell the fact that prices instantly spiked the minute the ban was mentioned shows that it's not a "supply and demand" economy that sets the price.

I too liked the idea of captive bred, but $250 for a fish that you know cost no more than 1/10th is really hard to swallow. Plus I think that was largely yellow tangs wasn't it? Things like a Kole or Chevron tang were not being bred, ditto with the dwarf angels?

I wouldn't hold my breath over prices coming down too quickly, once businesses get a taste of those high prices they don't tend to want to drop them too quickly, hell the fact that prices instantly spiked the minute the ban was mentioned shows that it's not a "supply and demand" economy that sets the price.

I too liked the idea of captive bred, but $250 for a fish that you know cost no more than 1/10th is really hard to swallow. Plus I think that was largely yellow tangs wasn't it? Things like a Kole or Chevron tang were not being bred, ditto with the dwarf angels?
Dwarf angels were done years before tangs. Not sure if anyone is doing any volumes of them, but they're being done.

Dwarf angels were done years before tangs. Not sure if anyone is doing any volumes of them, but they're being done.
It was like one guy in Hawaii doing them at Reef Culture Technologies. https://www.frankbaensch.com/

I think the only ones we can get in any significant numbers are coral beauty, lemon peel, and a few others.

I'd still never buy a wild fish if there was a captive bred version. These animals live decades, so you might as well put a little extra money in to support the breeders.

It was like one guy in Hawaii doing them at Reef Culture Technologies. https://www.frankbaensch.com/

I think the only ones we can get in any significant numbers are coral beauty, lemon peel, and a few others.

I'd still never buy a wild fish if there was a captive bred version. These animals live decades, so you might as well put a little extra money in to support the breeders.

I agree, and if anything fish should be *more* expensive. This is not a hobby to enter lightly, and it's not really a hobby to enter without access to some financial resources. I'm not saying it should be "wealthy only" but these are animals - a little barrier to entry via pricing is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a commitment, and really low prices don't create enough of a barrier to entry to reflect the level of commitment it really is (or should be).

IMO

I’d love to see the reason the price comes down is because they get captive-bred options dialed-in more. I’m happy to pay more for captive-bred (and also fully-QT’d wild caught) but the reality is that if there’s a cheaper option, way more people will go with that. I also agree that the hobby would be better off if wild-caught fish were more expensive, both because the hobbyists would be treating them as more precious, and because the collectors and chain of custody middle men would too.

The politics of this particular drama in Hawaii are ridiculous and frustrating though.

Back