License to krill

Yellow Tang Question

Alexx

Supporting Member
Hi,
I have a question for everybody that has or had Yellow Tangs.

I see that my yellow tang has some bubble (or marks not sure how to call them) on the head area around the eyes and on the face. It has that on both sides. Is that alright or I have to do something to heal him. He is not presenting any issues or scratching or anything. He is happy swimming and dancing in the tank.

Here is a video:
Here are some images:
IMG_9485.JPG
IMG_5281.JPG

Kensington Reefer

Supporting Member
HLLE
Cause is debatable
Cures...debatable
If it eats, it can survive
Ultimately it will be cosmetic
I have a 12 year old orange shoulder tang and blue tang that suffer this condition

Feed it
Love it
Grow it

Alexx

Supporting Member
Here is an image with all the foods that I give them. I am switching them.

Most of the time I give this combo Omega one Marine Flakes, New Life spectrum and Formula one Pellets
Like 2 times/week I feed Jumbo Krill.
I also have to types of Sea Veggie Sheets from Julian Springs and I add a little norie like once every 2 days.
I feed them only once a day except when I add Nori sheets when is twice.

Also From time to time I see a little cheto in the display tank and the tang will eat that as well.

Not sure what is wrong with the yellow tang but he is purposely eating his poop. But I was reading on other forums that there are other tangs that do the same thing.
IMG_0455.JPG

Kensington Reefer

Supporting Member
Oh my
Invest in some high quality frozen food
LRS or Rod’s
Also SFBB and others
Get them ALL
As much as they want you to believe...no one food has everything
And not all fish like all foods
Variety is key
Feed them often...like 5 times each day
Assume that each fish has a stomach the size of one of their eyeballs

Feed your fish!

treylane

Supporting Member
One of the (very debated) causes of hlle is carbon... Might be worth removing carbon from the system for a few weeks and see if that helps.

grizfyrfyter

Supporting Member
Recovery takes years and some are too damaged to ever heal.

Most of my tangs came with hlle, you can barely see it on my purple tang anymore. One of the blue tangs still has signs and the other is bad. Yellow tangs look great.

wrestle1952

Supporting Member
I’ve never seen that on any of my tangs. Is it bad pigmentation ?
It looks like Lateral line or hole in the head disease. People may laugh but I've cured MULTIPLE tangs just feeding Spectrum pellets. It takes awhile but it will reverse.

Wlachnit

BOD
Staff member
Hmmm....my blue tang has had HLLE for 12 y, I've been feeding it Spectrum forever...and it's still there.

jccaclimber

Supporting Member
My tangs live mainly on nori, but it is pretty much always available to them. If the last sheet is gone I hang a new one.
I get mine at the asian grocery, just make sure it isn't one of the flavored ones.
My LFS has a store brand nori they sell, but it secretly comes from the asian grocery store and is just repackaged.