got ethical husbandry?

Anyone have luck with Matted Filefish?

rygh

BOD
BOD
I have about had it with Majanos (not Aptasia)
The Majano wand was fun for a while, but really not effective, so I have
been back to endlessly poisoning them.

Anyone have any luck with Filefish? (Acreichthys tomentosus)

I am ok if it eats a few zoas, palys, and leathers.
It would be worth the tradeoff at this point.
I can move them to the fuge or perhaps trade them off.

Berghia nudibranch
But keep in mind that the fish and shrimp that eat aptasia will also eat the nudibranch.

For Majanos?
I heard they did well on Aptasia.
But I thought they would not touch Majanos.

Peppermint shrimp are not really a risk anymore.
Largely because I refer to them now as "Wrasse food" :eek:

I saw some suggestions that Bi-color angels might eat majanos. I don't know if that helps.

"I've never seen any other Centropyge eat majano. Bi-Color was the only success I've had. Nanook mentioned Raccon's as well, I've never had one so I couldn't comment. There was a thread a very long time ago where it was mentioned that the stomach contents of Bi-Color caught in the Gulf showed high levels of majano. This could explain the poor survival rates of this fish in captivity. You may be faced with long term survival issues once the majano are gone. I gave mine to friend who having the same problem."
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191170&highlight=kill+majano&page=2

The larger angels love them. There was a time when I have several 5" Pomacanthid angels in a 300 and I used to feed them rocks covered in majano nems.the other 100% sure solution is to dry out the rock. Manual extraction with bone cutter and wire brush work too.

actually my buddy got a filefish for his majano problem and that little sucker went to TOWN on them. However he did get a bit nippy with some other stuff once they were all picked clean. He actually has it captured and is about to bring it into an LFS soon. If you are interested in it, I can put in a word.

actually my buddy got a filefish for his majano problem and that little sucker went to TOWN on them. However he did get a bit nippy with some other stuff once they were all picked clean. He actually has it captured and is about to bring it into an LFS soon. If you are interested in it, I can put in a word.
I would definitely like to give it a try.
If it works, fantastic.
If not, perhaps someone else will try.
PM Sent

I too have about had it with Majanos & Aiptasia, they're bothering my z&p's in fact some days they stay closed all day because of the evil nem attached next to them...

Maybe this Filefish can get passed around between member in some order haha what do you think Mark?

Turns out I am way to swamped to come pick it up from Lawrence.
Work + Family stuff.
So looks like Mike is in luck.

Passing it around might work.
But ... hard on the fish, so always a concern.

Alternately, I might simply buy one online. It is not an expensive fish.
Although I do still have some misgivings. It is a risk to my coral.

well it sounds like the fish would have to be removed from the tank it cleans up regardless and placed in another one where it'll find more food, am I correct or am I getting these species mixed up?

well it sounds like the fish would have to be removed from the tank it cleans up regardless and placed in another one where it'll find more food, am I correct or am I getting these species mixed up?
Depends. "Have to be removed" may not be exactly correct.
It should survive just fine if fed the usual good quality food.
But the theory is that once the Majanos/Aptasia are gone, the odds of nipping other coral goes way up.
Will likely vary depending on exact fish, and the types of corals.
I would have no problem if it chewed on zoas, leathers, GSP, mushrooms, and a few others, because they grow like weeds.
But some key corals would really be an issue.

Back