High Tide Aquatics

90 gal Equipments question

Hey guys, I am starting a 90 gal mix reef tank. I made a list of equipments that I think i should get, but I'm not sure if there are better options out there; i.e. cheaper, better, more worth the money, or if there's missing equipments. Could you guys please go over the list with me and see if there are better options for me?
Also, I am only a student so my funds are definitely limited... so if someone has these equipments or an equivalent for sell please let me know. I will make another post in the member's only buy/sell. Try not to mention any selling in this post, because I don't want to break the rules.
Here's the link for buying http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/13620

-Thanks!

**question marks means I'm really not sure**(Brought) means I already got it**
- Tank Set: 90 Gallons (48 x 18 x 24) -------------------------------------------------$600 (Brought)
- Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus XS-200 (15 x 9.4 x 23)----------------------------$350
- Lights: Sunlight Supply Tek 6x54 watt T5 36” ---------------------------------------$300
- Return Pump: Eheim 1250???---------------------------------------------------------$100?
- Sump: DIY 40-50 gal-------------------------------------------------------------------$100
- Heater:????------------------------------------------------------------------------------$50?
- Flow: EcoTech MP40--------------------------------------------------------------------$420
- Controller: ReefKeeper Light Plus: (PH, salinity, temp, ATO)-------------------------$280
A) Salinity Probe------------------------------------------------------------$90
B) Float Kit------------------------------------------------------------------$25

Looks good, except i'd opt for a 48 inch fixture since you'll want to mount your T5s fairly close to water esp since a 90 is fairly deep tank. You wont get spread you're looking for with a 36 inch. Im also partial to the Apex line of controllers compared to the Reefkeepers (i've owned both). I prefer the Tunzes over the Vortex as well. Tunze has less of a sexy factor but is more versatile in various setups IMO. I dont see any ATO equipment listed. Are you planning on setting up auto top off? You might want to consider the size of your sump and the ability to keep an ATO reservoir next to it in your stand. I run an eheim 1262 and could use more flow so the 1250 is too small IMO. Of course thus depends on your overflow, but a standard Megaflow overflow can easily handle a 1262. In fact, i have to dial down my drain line into sump in order to match flow of 1262. I dont like sucking sounds most of the time. I use two 150 watt ebo jagers on my 90. one in sump one in overflow.

The 1250 pump, may be a bit slow with head loss. I would opt for a 1260, not a 1262 though. If you go with a reefkeeper forget the salinity probe. Starting off with one vortech mp40 sounds good. You probably want to check out Karson (aquatic collection) he has great prices on them.

+1 on getting the 48" light setup. 6 t5's or 2 150/250w halides ... or diy some led's!

I've got some tunze 6055's you could probly twist my arm into getting a good deal on... They're not quite mp40's but they don't have mp40 pricetags either.

For a reef, you may want to consider a ca or kalk reactor, and/or dosing pumps for keeping mag/alk/ca up. Dosing manually will work fine though if you've got more spare time than spare dollars. ;)

Also consider a RO/DI unit if you're planning to want purified water - schlepping jugs back and forth from the water store gets expensive and tiresome pretty quickly.

I'd skip the salinity probe.

ATO is great and if you can do it, go for it - but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather put the $ into the alk/etc dosing system since manually topping off is way easier / less-thought-required when you're fried from midterms than manually dosing chemicals.

Thanks for the reply guys! got a question for RO/DI system. I currently have a Coralife Pure Flo II 50gpd RO unit Without the DI unit. I wonder if I will be fine with this or do I have to get a RO/DI. btw I live in San Francisco

What is the TDS of your RO water?

DI may not be critical, I've seen reports of successful tanks using straight tap water, but I feel that using purified water helps to eliminate problems down the road. Whether you're fighting algae or fish/corals are struggling, it helps to eliminate one potential source of problems.

A DI add-on to an existing RO costs around $35, and in my case I go through about $5 worth of resin every six months. IMHO, DI is one of the few cost-effective aspects of this hobby - no much savings from cutting corners here.

Not that I can in good conscience RECOMMEND it... but I've been using tapwater since the beginning of the year without problems. Several reefers have implied that I can expect issues "down the road" because of this, but none were ever all that specific about the problems they experienced. :-/

Indeed but do you know the quality of the pipes in the place you live in?
Building I live in is a 1920's, steel pipes for hot and cold; pressure sucks and a lot of build-up inside those pipes.

I have a kent 36 gallon HI-S RO/DI unit that I am not using anl longer. Since you are a student you can havit if you want.....you will need to replace the filters and maybe get an garden hose adapter. LMK - I am in SF too.

Back