Cali Kid Corals

A bit confused about amps and dosing pump flow

So I ordered these dosing pumps a while back and now finally have time to wire them up.
http://www.reefshops.com/dosing-pump-peristaltic-dosing-pump-for-aquarium-lab.html
The pumps are just powered by a standard 12v power supply but my question lies amp wise. The flow rate is listed as 0-100ml/min and the amp at 80mA, so my question is if I get a 12v, 50mA power supply would the flow rate be less than a 12v, 1A power supply? (since watts= Volts x Amps this would make sense right?). If this statement is correct, what amp power supply should I get if I want around 50ml/min?
Thanks for any input

No, the pump just won't have as much umph and you'll probably burn it out given what action is is doing (rolling rollers over stiff tubing). You control it with the volts but even then I wouldn't f' with it. It's more then just a pump (digital timer). Why not simply adjust the flow lower and longer?

Do be advised that unit is only rated for like 500 hours IIRC and the tubing will not work for anything above Cyclop-Eeze. Keep the end submerged if you are going to feed Roti-Feast. If it's exposed to the air it will gum up.

I just started putting some of those to the test.

Wow lots of power questions today :D

Ok, so those things work is that your power supply in this case will put out a particular voltage (12 volts) and the item (pump) will draw as much current as it needs to operate. Now you said 50mA PS, where as the pump lists 80mA needed, so you'd more than likely damage your PS (50mA is rather smaller btw, sure it's not 500mA?)

That said, if it's between a 500mA and an 1amp PS, both will have identical responses

Thanks for the quick responses
Why not simply adjust the flow lower and longer?
how would I do that?
Do be advised that unit is only rated for like 500 hours IIRC and the tubing will not work for anything above Cyclop-Eeze.
At $30 a pop oh well, considering the pump will be on 5-10 min a day max by the time it breaks I'll be in college with a different setup.

thanks

If I was doing this diy, I would try to mimic the setup the other hobby dosing pumps use. Run it at full rated voltage and speed, and control the rate of dosing with a timer. As for how to slow it down, you could set the timer to start/stop during the dosing, it would slow down the rate without running the motor at a slow speed. Essentially run it in small bursts, at full speed.

Joost_ said:
Thanks for the quick responses
Why not simply adjust the flow lower and longer?
how would I do that?
Do be advised that unit is only rated for like 500 hours IIRC and the tubing will not work for anything above Cyclop-Eeze.
At $30 a pop oh well, considering the pump will be on 5-10 min a day max by the time it breaks I'll be in college with a different setup.

thanks

Sorry, thought that was the CoralVue unit. That looks like a replacement for it though.

Once you get a power supply and pay shipping on that I suspect you'll be at $50 and still needing a timer. The unit I speak of does all that and can be calibrated, no tinkering around.

Back