Cali Kid Corals

Adding Ocean Revive 247 to RSM 130

Anybody added a Ocean Revive 247 to a red sea max 130?
About to get a OC 247 and My question is, do I have to take the rim off the tank for the revive stand legs to clamp?
The top is already off but will the rim cause an issue when mounting?
Also, what settings should I start with when installing over the 34gal RSM 130.
The tank currently has a Kessil 360we that's been in place for over a year and a half so the coral is used to led.
Any input would be appreciated!

Why did you switch from the kessil? I would think that if you were using the kessil gooseneck then the bracket on the 247 would work too but I haven’t tried it myself.

Why did you switch from the kessil? I would think that if you were using the kessil gooseneck then the bracket on the 247 would work too but I haven’t tried it myself.
I just have had NO GROWTH and only death in this tank for over a year and a half. All my water is good and no swings with anything, so after 1.5 year of chasing numbers and scratching my head, a light change is my last option. I know people who have great coral success with Ocean Revive so Im gonna give it a shot. I have seriously tried everything else with no luck.
The kessil with gooseneck is attached to the rear of the tank behind the sump which doesn't have a rim. The ocean revive has brackets that attach to the sides of the tank which has a rim. Just wondering if the rim will be in the way and not allow the bracket to fit flush.

1.5 years of chasing numbers and 1.5 years of keeping water in check with no swings are 2 different things. If you water is stable, you wouldn't be chasing numbers.

But its your tank. If you feel the Ocean Revives are a better fit for you and your tank, go for it. Just that, if your criteria for choosing those lights is because people have great coral success with them, that also applies to the Kessils.

1.5 years of chasing numbers and 1.5 years of keeping water in check with no swings are 2 different things. If you water is stable, you wouldn't be chasing numbers.

But its your tank. If you feel the Ocean Revives are a better fit for you and your tank, go for it. Just that, if your criteria for choosing those lights is because people have great coral success with them, that also applies to the Kessils.
By chasing numbers I mean Im constantly staying on top of my numbers not letting them jump, hence, no swing. Basing my criteria on Kessil doesn't work for a lot of people and Im one of them, NM, this is so far off what the post is for which is mounting a ocean revive on a RSM 130.
Anybody wanna stay on topic here?
Any answers to my first post would be gladly appreciated.

The problem is, the club wants to help.
I (and likely others) feel that switching from one LED brand to another brand is not likely to fix anything.
So we don't want you to waste your time and money.

I totally get that many people have terrible trouble with Kessils!
But percentage wise, there are about as many people complaining about any other brand as well.
LEDs are not trivial to get right.

Sorry for being off topic, but wanted to reduce bad feelings.

The problem is, the club wants to help.
I (and likely others) feel that switching from one LED brand to another brand is not likely to fix anything.
So we don't want you to waste your time and money.

I totally get that many people have terrible trouble with Kessils!
But percentage wise, there are about as many people complaining about any other brand as well.
LEDs are not trivial to get right.

Sorry for being off topic, but wanted to reduce bad feelings.
I hear ya, this is just the last thing on the list and I have no other ideas on what the problem could be. By process of elimination it leaves just the light. Trust me, I dont wanna spend the money either but OR is a much cheaper light compared to others that at this point I'm willing to give it a shot. If anybody else is using a kessil 360we over a 34gal RSM I would love to hear some input on intensity and growth experience cuz it's just not workin out for me.

What are your water parameters and how are you maintaining them?
Cal 430. Alk 8.4. Nitrates 10. Salt 26. Temp 79.
5 gal fritz water changes once a week. RODI top off.
All zoas shrink and die, monti bleach out and turn bone white, birds nest turn bone white and die, hammers, torches and euphyllia doing well but no growth after like a year, acans and blasto doing ok but no growth, lost 2 frogspawns. Nothing in my tank has grown split or multiplied in anyway. Lost a few ricordia as well. Totally stumped.

For corals that grow a skeleton, an important thing must be present also; Magnesium.
Salt you mean 1.026sg or 26ppm?
26ppm is, I believe, very low.
That brings a question, How do you check the salinity?

Although I have no experience with LED’s, Ive seen a few small tanks ran on Kessil 360/ 360we and they look amazing, not only the “colors” but the growth is pretty good.

For corals that grow a skeleton, an important thing must be present also; Magnesium.
Salt you mean 1.026sg or 26ppm?
26ppm is, I believe, very low.
That brings a question, How do you check the salinity?

Although I have no experience with LED’s, Ive seen a few small tanks ran on Kessil 360/ 360we and they look amazing, not only the “colors” but the growth is pretty good.
Refractometer.
Dont get me wrong, kessil looks amazing, but just not giving amazing results.

Cal 430. Alk 8.4. Nitrates 10. Salt 26. Temp 79.
5 gal fritz water changes once a week. RODI top off.
All zoas shrink and die, monti bleach out and turn bone white, birds nest turn bone white and die, hammers, torches and euphyllia doing well but no growth after like a year, acans and blasto doing ok but no growth, lost 2 frogspawns. Nothing in my tank has grown split or multiplied in anyway. Lost a few ricordia as well. Totally stumped.

These things are super hard to diagnose of course.
But my guess : Combination of way too much light and a bit lacking in food.

Kessils have so much blue that they look dark when they are actually producing a ton of PAR.

My advice, which could totally be wrong:
1) Turn the lights down. Like half, not just a little bit. And reduce period.
2) Feed corals more. Oysterfeast is good.
3) Run carbon for a bit. Not super likely to help, but eliminates chemical warfare issues, which is possible given those corals.

Replacing lights is not necessarily a bad plan in this case.
Those lights will look brighter, but not overdrive the coral as much.

These things are super hard to diagnose of course.
But my guess : Combination of way too much light and a bit lacking in food.

Kessils have so much blue that they look dark when they are actually producing a ton of PAR.

My advice, which could totally be wrong:
1) Turn the lights down. Like half, not just a little bit. And reduce period.
2) Feed corals more. Oysterfeast is good.
3) Run carbon for a bit. Not super likely to help, but eliminates chemical warfare issues, which is possible given those corals.

Replacing lights is not necessarily a bad plan in this case.
Those lights will look brighter, but not overdrive the coral as much.
Light ramps and runs for 10 hrs.
Light intensity maxes out at only 40%. Kessil 10" above water line.
Color max at 25%
I feed corals once a week. I just got reef roids so thats what I'll will be feeding now.
I run Chem pure blue.

5g in a 34g system is almost 15% a week.

Not feeding heavily but still have 10 ppm of nitrates!?!

What are your phosphate levels?

Ever test the RO/DI from the LFS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back