Kessil

Algae scraper - 15 mm glass - Recommendations

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
Ok, so I have bought several of these known algae scraper brands and different sizes over the last 1.5 years from flipper to tunze and back to flipper.

I thought I would use the Tunze Long for my new tank, with the ceramic blades from 4D that Rich Ross recommended a few times in their Reef Beef podcast. I bought the long for the nano a while ago, which was too strong for the nano, but it turns out this is now too weak for my 15 mm glass.

It seems that the Tunze is still the recommended go-to scraper, and I seem to need to the 'strong' version for 90+ USD. Before I buy another scraper that is not useful, I wanted to hear what you guys recommend?

IMG_1230.jpeg

The strongest magnet hands down is the algae free magnet. It’s gonna cost you tho. And it’s gonna make you work out big time.
The other one is the tunze but you have that already.
I use the tunze but I slip my hand in the back part of the magnet. So the just the head slides. Works better for me. Same with the flipper pro.

I suggest anything that can accept the 4d ceramic blades. I have an algae free and tunze (I went with the .020. for my IM 75) with 4d ceramic blades. I have not used my algae free since getting the ceramic blades a few months ago. The algae free is very strong.

They are sharp so I tend to be very careful around the seams and when grabbing the wet sharp side to move to a different side of the glass.

I don’t like strong magnets. Got a scratch on my tank because of one. I think a weaker magnet allows anything caught underneath to fall out more easily. With that being said I like my flipper with the double blades.

I don’t like strong magnets. Got a scratch on my tank because of one. I think a weaker magnet allows anything caught underneath to fall out more easily. With that being said I like my flipper with the double blades.
Weak will scratch too, and it’s easier for stuff to get in between if they come apart too easily.

Weak will scratch too, and it’s easier for stuff to get in between if they come apart too easily.
Mike is right.
Magnets are not meant to be left in the tank/water as something might get stuck in between or a tiny critter that has a hard shell might make it a home.
MagFloat magnets are weak in comparison to Algae Free but the large one might be a good fit.
I’m nit sure if I still have a couple with the blade attachment on but I’ll look

I've always used dobie pads or long plastic scrapers with dobie pad wrapped onto the ends. Just too many scratches from magnet scrapers over the years. Snails take care of the rest of the algae so I only have to do it once a week.

You'll find the 90 degree reeflectors on your lights help keep the light spill down on the glass panes. I definitely get less growth now than before my lighting upgrade.

I leave all flipper magnets inside all my tanks. Never rust and dont rmemeber them creating any scratch. I prefer blade over a pad because pads will have sand hitch hikers and scratch tank.

Also don't need a super strong magnet because that too will scratch tank.

I suggest anything that can accept the 4d ceramic blades. I have an algae free and tunze (I went with the .020. for my IM 75) with 4d ceramic blades. I have not used my algae free since getting the ceramic blades a few months ago. The algae free is very strong.

They are sharp so I tend to be very careful around the seams and when grabbing the wet sharp side to move to a different side of the glass.

Curious if the 020 for your 12 mm glas feels already easy to move or slightly harder?

it feels more on the easy side when compared to my hammerhead algae free on the harder side. I have not used the 020 with its stock plastic blades. Those are the only two I have tried on this tank.

I would recommend the Tunze Care Magnet Strong 0222.020. It’s rated for 15mm-20mm. I’ve used mine on a SR120 which is 15mm and it worked great. My Elos is 12mm and works great as well can still move it easily.

I’ve been wanting to try the 4D ceramic blade upgrade as well. Lmk when you order maybe we can split shipping.

This is my current setup with double long blades. Cuts down on the scraping time a lot with double blades.
IMG_6553.jpeg

I would recommend the Tunze Care Magnet Strong 0222.020. It’s rated for 15mm-20mm. I’ve used mine on a SR120 which is 15mm and it worked great. My Elos is 12mm and works great as well can still move it easily.

I’ve been wanting to try the 4D ceramic blade upgrade as well. Lmk when you order maybe we can split shipping.

This is my current setup with double long blades. Cuts down on the scraping time a lot with double blades.
View attachment 51449

Thanks TJ - This is helpful. I really was not sure now which one to select. Seems like there are lots of preferences and considerations for magnets. I did already purchase the ceramic blades, and have them on my long Tunze (which is too weak), sorry. Shipping was 4.95.

Back