Kessil

ALL GONE: Free equipment from an Aiptasia lab at Stanford

Everything was either given away or trashed. Thanks to those who came to get something!

Hi everyone,

The Pringle lab at Stanford is compressing into a smaller space, so we need to finally get rid of a bunch of old equipment we no longer use. Everything is free to whoever can come get it first, however we would appreciate any of the following items in trade if you have them to spare:
  1. Algae eating, reef-friendly animals (e.g. snails, urchins, small tangs).
  2. Aiptasia/pest anemone, reef-friendly animals (e.g. Berghia nudibranchs, peppermint shrimp).
  3. Coral frags (one of our lab members especially wants Euphyllia AKA frogspawn/torch/hammerhead coral).
Pickup will be at Stanford in the medical campus. DM me and we can arrange a time. Most of the stuff isn't clean, so you'll have to handle that.

The free stuff:
1) One 1/13 horsepower AquaEuroUSA chiller, rated for up to a 50 gallon aquarium. Tested 10/25/2023: compressor, thermostat, and electronics work, but unit does not chill. The instruction manual says, in this case, it needs to have its refrigerant refilled by a "certified technician" (needs 120g of refrigerant R134a). But it seems like a shame to toss it just because it needs more refrigerant!

20231024_160424.jpg

2) One Current USA Sunpod metal halide/LED fixture. Same as the one discussed here. 20" long x 8.5" wide x 7.5" tall. Legs are adjustable. Blue LEDs work, white do not. Metal halide works. No idea how many hours are on this bulb. Tested 10/26/2023.

20231024_160449.jpg
20231024_160457.jpg

3) Two acrylic sumps that seem to be set up for a wet-dry style filter with bioballs. Not sure if any saltwater systems still use this kind of filter. But maybe you could repurpose them. 20" long x 8" wide x 18" tall (taller side). Each has a bulkhead over the bioball section, a bulkhead to drain below the bioballs, and a bulkhead to feed a pump at the bottom of the wall opposite the bioball section. We also have a ton of used and new bioballs. You're welcome to any of the attached plumbing.

20231024_160300.jpg

4) One strange acrylic sump with a lid for the entry section and a shelf with a bunch of drainage holes in it. Maybe it is also intended as a wet-dry filter. One bulkhead in the lid, and a big one for the return. 24" long x 8" wide x 14" tall.

20231024_160807.jpg
20231024_160817.jpg

5) One KNOP protein skimmer with Rio pump and filter cup lid (not pictured). Not tested, but worst case you might have to replace the pump. Pretty small: 4" x 7" x 19.5" tall.
20231024_160626.jpg

6) Four Red Sea Ocean Clear canister filters, each measuring 13" (max diameter with handles) x 11" tall. I haven't even opened these. You'll have to take them with whatever is inside of them and you're welcome to the attached plumbing.

20231024_160548.jpg

I will post more stuff here as the pre-move cleaning continues, and I will remove listings once they are gone, so check back frequently!

Happy reefing,
Gabe

Last edited:
I think @ashburn2k was looking for acrylic to work with.

Also @gaberosenfield I have a couple big Caribbean curlique anemones (not sure about species) if you're interested.
I had no idea Caribbean curlique anemones (Bartholomea annulata) were popular in the aquarium trade!
We collected a few in Hawaii last year (all of which have now died) and a couple more in the Florida Keys this year as part of a big sequencing project. Honestly, the collection was accidental in Hawaii, and we needed some from Florida to compare to our Hawaiian sequencing results and eliminate the Barts from our dataset... #science

Anyway, thanks for the offer but we don't need more Barts!

Update: big AES sump and working chiller are gone.

@BAYMAC and I are working out a time for him to pick up the remaining sumps/wet-dry filters and canister filters.

Everything else is still up for grabs.

Back