got ethical husbandry?

Allergic reaction??

So as of lately, whenever I am working on my tank and have my hands in the water for more than 5 minutes, I start to get a runny nose. this started about a month ago while i was doing a water change and rearranging some frags around. I started to take notice when I swapped out my frag rack for a new one a couple weeks ago so I kept track. Did a water change a week ago, started to get the sniffles. cleaned the glass last weekend, started to get the sniffles. Anyone else experience anything like this? Am I getting to allergic to saltwater or something around it?

When Im in the room just watching the tank im all good, no signs of aallergies whatsoever. Maybe its just in my head??

Usually when its allergy season it hits me really hard when Im outdoors. I havent had the need to take my allergy medicine yet since its not acting up when im outside. I thought maybe it could be the dust and/or saltcreep that gathers in my canopy but i usually give it a good wipedown. I hope it really is just pollen or dust because that would suck A$$ if Im getting allergic to the aquarium!

melly mel said:
Usually when its allergy season it hits me really hard when Im outdoors. I havent had the need to take my allergy medicine yet since its not acting up when im outside. I thought maybe it could be the dust and/or saltcreep that gathers in my canopy but i usually give it a good wipedown. I hope it really is just pollen or dust because that would suck A$$ if Im getting allergic to the aquarium!

Never heard of a nasal allergic reaction to an aquarium.

phishphood said:
got mold or anything fun like that growing around your tank/stand/canopy?

None that I can see. Just salt creep on the canopy closest to the OF box and some dust in the back.

GreshamH said:
melly mel said:

Never heard of a nasal allergic reaction to an aquarium.

Me either. Maybe its just coincedence?? But seriously.....whenever my hands stay in the tank longer than 5 minutes...the the runny nose starts. Gonna keep track of this a little longer to see if it continues.

Never heard of a nasal reaction to touching anything either :lol:

Best guess would be a reaction to the temperature change.

Get a bucket of fresh water, set it to same temp as tank, and put it near, but not right next to tank.
Put hands in bucket for 10 minutes. Runny nose = temp change.

I assume you do not get a runny nose just standing next to tank for 10 minutes?
That rules out mold.

Most people I've know who had a reaction it's been skin related. However if there were bubbles in the tank (skimmer gone wild?) it could aerosolized tank water allowing you to inhale it having a similar reaction in your lungs.. but if anything you'd probably have issues with your arms in the tank as well.

Most people I've know who had a reaction it's been skin related. However if there were bubbles in the tank (skimmer gone wild?) it could aerosolized tank water allowing you to inhale it having a similar reaction in your lungs.. but if anything you'd probably have issues with your arms in the tank as well.

Back