Reef nutrition

Anemone Attachment

Do anemones that require a substrate (e.g. LTAs, carpet, etc….) have issues with eggcrate? Or do they need a smooth attachment like rock or glass under the sand?

-Gregory

Ooh, that's a good one. I want to see how the others answer it.

But FWIW I've always just had carpets attach to the glass under the sand. I suppose if you're running eggcrate under sand then you could potentially use a flat piece of rock or a piece of acrylic for it to attach to?

Some carpets naturally live in the sand, Rich can shed light on which ones (I forget and I don;t keep carpets). LTA live in the sand. I have never kept an LTA with out sand, it probably can be done, but I prefer to give the animals I keep some resemblance of their natural habitat, even if it's just a lil sand.

GreshamH said:
Some carpets naturally live in the sand, Rich can shed light on which ones (I forget and I don;t keep carpets). LTA live in the sand. I have never kept an LTA with out sand, it probably can be done, but I prefer to give the animals I keep some resemblance of their natural habitat, even if it's just a lil sand.

There's sand, but under the sand is eggcrate. My concern is that the anemone won't deal well with the eggcrate for attachment after it digs down.

-Gregory

Just bury a rock or two... I suspect they'll attach the the eggcrate though :D

IME LTs, carpets and the like will find the deepest sand in the tank if it's not a DSB type tank and settle there, I'm sure egg crate or not they'd be fine.

Regarding the carpets and sand, gigantias are sposed to like sand, but Rich and I have found it to not necessarily be true and it really depends on the individual nem.

I had one inside an acrylic box. No lid but protruded an inch or so above the water on all sides. Found my BAT resting on top of an acan colony in my main display... Does that count as 5 frags? :(

Btw... Nems can climb dry walls? The heck... Or gone through a thin slit in the box??? Biggest hole is 1/8" round and the slits are barely big enough to let mysis fall through them... Strange...Wish I saw it happen!

GDawson said:
zepplock said:
usually nems will settle after killing 5 nice frags, so keep counting ;-)

What a cheerful way to start the morning!!! :p

-Gregory
At least he said frags and not colonies :p (which btw, the nem will consider 3 colonies in place of 5 frags, or so they have confessed tome after an air boarding session).

andrew said:
yea my red carpet was on a rock and sand..but now he moved on the top of my rock..

carpet species? There are more then one carpet species ;)

Back