got ethical husbandry?

Another Skimmer Problem

patchin

Supporting Member
I have an ASM 1 with a Mag 5 pump. Recently I've had to prime the pump( cover the inlet with my hand) to get it to suck air. After a water change this evening, the skimmer isn't working in the sump. I can pull it out and put it in a bucket and sometimes it runs, but it won't do anything in the sump. Should I try vinegar? I'm kinda stumped. Any ideas?

The impeller looks fine, but I'm not real experienced with them. I've had it for over six months and got it used from Phong.

Theresa found a part on the counter> I think it covers the end of the shaft. I'LL try it in a few minutes. The Warriors are tied now!

WArrior won ,,, what a game

Patchin, if you got it used from Phong then forget it LOL .. their should be 2 rubber end pieces for each end of the shaft. If that doesn't work then remove the impeller and look at the magnet part to see if it has an bulge at all, if it does then replace the impeller.

I tried to pull the impeller out and it wouldn't come out. It should,huh.Maybe the water level got too low in the sump during the water change, causing too much heat or something. I'll have to check the price of the shaft and impeller.

mag 5?? It should be Sedra 5000 not mag pump.

If you can't pull the impeller out, how are you going to replace it? The impeller is around $50 plus shipping.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ASM

[quote author=northbay-reefer link=topic=3085.msg33362#msg33362 date=1202964543]
WArrior won ,,, what a game

Patchin, if you got it used from Phong then forget it LOL .. their should be 2 rubber end pieces for each end of the shaft. If that doesn't work then remove the impeller and look at the magnet part to see if it has an bulge at all, if it does then replace the impeller.
[/quote]

LOL .. I take really good care of my equipment.

My bad. Yes, it's a sedra 5000. I did get the impeller out. The shaft and impeller are 34.95 at Marine Depot. Yes, it's obvious you took very good care of it. Thanks Again.

It does seem to be bulged, but I've never had it out before. I'll call AC and see if Ken has one and will match the online price.

Update---Called Marine Depot to order the shaft and needle wheel, but talked to their tech and he suggested to blow into the air hose, primed right up and it's working well. Something isn't quite right though, cause it should prime on its' own.

I think if the magnet is bulged, it doesn't spin up as easily, and the air line doesn't clear on its own.

I had to replace mine recently after the air hose trick didn't work any more.

Good time to order a spare impeller assembly.

Back