Kessil

Any tricks for removing machining oil from tools?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
So I want to pop a bulkhead in my 300g rubbermade stock tank, the siphon (as awesome as it looks) just is not moving enough water for my tastes. So I needed a 3" hole saw, and decided to go cheap on Amazon for a multi-piece set (many sizes) which should be fine popping holes in plastic/acrylic or drywall, but the stuff is absolutely coated in the machining oils too (and probably the "good" stuff from the Chinese factory these guys popped out of!) .

So needless to say I'm a bit hesitant to drill into the tank immediately, so are their any tricks for removing these oils? I mean I'm sure Dawn soap would work great for removing it... however I'd bet this is a low quality steel and would probably rust before I even used them if I did that.

I ask since
I'm confused if you want to install a 3" BH or the hole has to be 3"
Anyway, I have several sizes good for plastic

Well luckily I did buy the cheepy kit, because it also has a 3.25" hole saw in it, and that is actually what I needed, I dunno I guess I didn't account for the threads on the bulkhead or something.

If they are greasy, maybe try those orange oil based degreasers. Maybe simple green will work?

Or wash them in dawn and hot water, then when you are convinced they are clean, rinse them in clean water/alcohol (for a quick dry) and spray PAM or another cooking spray on them (canola oil, basically) to prevent them from rusing but without adding any petrochemicals. Beware though that veggie oils eventually go rancid, but for what you want, it probably doesn't matter!

Back