Reef nutrition

Anyone else have a harlequin tusk in their reef?

After a long time thinking it over I decided to pick up my favorite fish, the harlequin tusk. I know these aren't considered reef safe but so far he has been a model citizen, mostly because I feed my tank a lot. Anyone else have one in their reef?

I believe the only reason some dont consider them reef safe is because they eat crustaceans. they are also semi aggressive, so with larger fish you should be fine................... there is one living in a lfs's 450gln reef out here in las Vegas.....very cool to watch him. when I setup my new reef I will be joining you with a tusk in my reef. I had one in my fish only and he never bothered my shrimp, crabs or snails...........I did feed him a good diet with plenty of clams on the half shell.....that might have helped

Reef safe is relative though right??

Yeah awesome fish, with some brilliant colors. I love the brilliant metallic orange, and the blue pinstripes, and blue teeth!!

I think they will prefer "supplied foods" over "hunted ones". But if you starve them, ornamental shrimp would go first, then any cleaners.
I had an Ausi one in a tank with a female broomtail for well over a year with lots of other "common" reef fish. Lots of zoas and mushrooms and other softies. Never bothered them one bit.

Shrimp are a menace!
For the longest time some of my acans have been shrinking and dying while others thrive. I finally realized that the peppermint shrimp have been eating them.
And the cleaner shrimp constantly steals food from my corals that I spot feed.
I would take a tusk over a shrimp any day!

ModernReefKeeper said:
Reef safe is relative though right??

Yeah awesome fish, with some brilliant colors. I love the brilliant metallic orange, and the blue pinstripes, and blue teeth!!

I think they will prefer "supplied foods" over "hunted ones". But if you starve them, ornamental shrimp would go first, then any cleaners.
I had an Ausi one in a tank with a female broomtail for well over a year with lots of other "common" reef fish. Lots of zoas and mushrooms and other softies. Never bothered them one bit.

Only Aussie ones have blue teeth ;)

Back