Kessil

Anyone have a PAR meter?

Trying to determine if my lighting is sufficient or if I need to add another bulb. Anyone have a PAR meter I could borrow? Willing to pickup and bring back same day. I won't hurt it, I promise. As with any expensive tool in the craftsmen toolbox I have I understand there would be some concern for it being returned late, being damaged etc... and promise to do my best not to make anything like that happen to it.

Thanks!
Jay

Thanks Cookiejar and robert.

Before I take up anyone on their offers maybe I should clearify what I am looking to do...

So I currently have a single 250w SE MH in a lumenarc mini over my 40g breeder. The ends of the tank are bright but I don't know how much light the corals are getting midway down the tank over there. Would the PAR meter or Lux meter allow me to place the sensor in the water and measure what the PAR/LUX/?Lumen? rating is? If it does, does obtaining that number actually help me to figure out if the lighting is enough?

One thing to remember with PAR meters is the cord is not a cord but rather fiber optics. Treat the sensor/cord with care. Tha being said I ahve beat my old one to crap and it still worked.

I would use PAR meter over the LUX meter. LUX is fairly useless in terms to telling how much usable photons are hitting the coral. Iwth PAR readings you will be able to match to other tanks on the net. I have a dozen of so tanks in my PAR log in fact (if I can find that dang database)

Cookiejar, Are you going to the meeting this weekend? If so, could I borrow the PAR meter? I live in UC now so Mountain view isn't all that far away and I could return it promptly.

Back