Our mission

Anyone try the WWC Monthly Coral Subscription?

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I saw they had the subs on sale right now and was curious. I went and checked out a couple of U-tube videos of people unpacking theirs and it actually looks like one hell of a deal.

They must have changed it. They have just two categories now. I went ahead and tried one so I'll let you know. I chose Acros and Chalices.

They must have changed it. They have just two categories now. I went ahead and tried one so I'll let you know. I chose Acros and Chalices.
They also say "UP TO 5 frags" and since they put an approximate value on it ($200 for the $99 package, $450 for the $199 package) if the corals they pick are $50 frags you're only getting 4 corals that are worthy and something from their bargin bin if anything at all, and for the $199 package, you basically get $100 frags which makes me cringe to what makes a $100 frag and while yeah I know there are corals out there that easily go for that or more but IMO a lot of them are pushing it... plus these are "what the market will bear" prices for corals so some of them most definitely are inflated, just looking at their site now if you wanted acros they have exactly 3 that are over $100 (and not by much) most are well under that such that you couldn't get that "$450" in value with 5.

That said, I see this as someone with disposable income who just wants to open a goody box every month. Lets say you did it for 3 months at the "Silver" package that's $300 ($285 actually because there's a 5% discount) how many different frags could get for that? You could go bonkers at Neptune in their $10 frag tank (they still have that?) or you could get some really nice ones that you actually want, or hell looking at their website I could easily see $300 (minus whatever shipping is) worth of corals I could hand pick that I wanted.

If these were mini colonies I could see a bit more allure on them, but the frag disc sized corals to have a crap shoot on what you'll actually get, nah. I mean looking at the video of the guy, I did not see $700 worth of corals there, so you really are taking for granted what their sale price is on these, and while I could see paying $60/frag for what he got it still all comes down to "but those aren't necessarily the corals I'd pick if I was spending money on coral"

Ok I'll stop ragging on the deal. It might be fun to go in with a few people and just divvy up the loot and have grow outs and then swap frags back for funzies, but I dunno, we're in a fairly healthy coral environment we can get stuff no problem from lots of places, this isn't like living in the midwest in some area where there are no stores or anything around.

They also say "UP TO 5 frags" and since they put an approximate value on it ($200 for the $99 package, $450 for the $199 package) if the corals they pick are $50 frags you're only getting 4 corals that are worthy and something from their bargin bin if anything at all, and for the $199 package, you basically get $100 frags which makes me cringe to what makes a $100 frag and while yeah I know there are corals out there that easily go for that or more but IMO a lot of them are pushing it... plus these are "what the market will bear" prices for corals so some of them most definitely are inflated, just looking at their site now if you wanted acros they have exactly 3 that are over $100 (and not by much) most are well under that such that you couldn't get that "$450" in value with 5.

That said, I see this as someone with disposable income who just wants to open a goody box every month. Lets say you did it for 3 months at the "Silver" package that's $300 ($285 actually because there's a 5% discount) how many different frags could get for that? You could go bonkers at Neptune in their $10 frag tank (they still have that?) or you could get some really nice ones that you actually want, or hell looking at their website I could easily see $300 (minus whatever shipping is) worth of corals I could hand pick that I wanted.

If these were mini colonies I could see a bit more allure on them, but the frag disc sized corals to have a crap shoot on what you'll actually get, nah. I mean looking at the video of the guy, I did not see $700 worth of corals there, so you really are taking for granted what their sale price is on these, and while I could see paying $60/frag for what he got it still all comes down to "but those aren't necessarily the corals I'd pick if I was spending money on coral"

Ok I'll stop ragging on the deal. It might be fun to go in with a few people and just divvy up the loot and have grow outs and then swap frags back for funzies, but I dunno, we're in a fairly healthy coral environment we can get stuff no problem from lots of places, this isn't like living in the midwest in some area where there are no stores or anything around.

All good points, but I like to gamble a bit and was curious. I figure that at $200.00 though I can stick them in my frag tank and if it's now corals I want to keep I can sell them at $40-70 per and get my money back with no issues.

Seems like it’s designed for the Reefer who is:

Experienced (so you don’t kill them),
Discerning (so you think expensive corals are worth it),
Not picky (so you’ll be happy with whatever they send),
Not price sensitive,
Who doesn’t already have lots of nice corals (risk of them sending what you already have)

Kind of a narrow subset, with some contradictions in there.

Maybe the perfect customer would be someone planning to grow out and sell, so basically seeding competition for WWC.

Back