Neptune Aquatics

Apex on a beginner tank? Yay or nay?

So I'm still in the pre-water-in-tank stage of reefing, and I'm learning a ton of stuff as I go. I've read a lot about apex controllers and how it's a must for every reefer.

My question is do you recommend Apex on a very young tank? I mean I figured the first few months all I'll have in my tank will be rocks and a couple of fishes. It'll probably be a while before it can support any corals, right? So would investing in an apex this early unnecessary if all I'll have to control are pretty much lights/temp and skimmer?

Thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you need an apex to begin. You can go a long way without apex. It provides insurance as you invest more and more in your tank and is also a toy or gadget to keep track of what's going on. @RandyC has no apex but has other devices that help to notify him if things are going awry.

An Apex is never "required." Everything can be done by hand.

Equipment for a "young tank" should not differ from your planned "old" tank.
So if you plan to get an Apex, the earlier you get it the better.
Minimal cost savings in delaying, why change things around more than needed,
and the status will help as you bring up the tank.

But if you are new to the hobby, and may not be in it long term, that is a different question.
I would say no, do not make a big expense like that.

I'm going to disagree slightly here. Hands down was the Apex was the best early purchase I made. The ability to easily automate was a huge step in reaching stability. I'd also recommend an ATO right away for the same reason -- stability. The bigger question though is how much of an Apex do you need early on? There's no reason not to start with an Apex Jr which (along with two haters) allows you to keep your temperature range within a degree. You don't need a PH probe frankly (probably ever.)

I'm going to disagree slightly here. Hands down was the Apex was the best early purchase I made. The ability to easily automate was a huge step in reaching stability. I'd also recommend an ATO right away for the same reason -- stability. The bigger question though is how much of an Apex do you need early on? There's no reason not to start with an Apex Jr which (along with two haters) allows you to keep your temperature range within a degree. You don't need a PH probe frankly (probably ever.)
Sure I agree. It's nice to have if you have the money. But between an ATO and an apex, I would go with reliable ATO first. Also if you're making decisions about how to spend your money on the basics equipment of a tank, I would be spending money on nice variable speed powerheads and a reliable return, before an apex. Etc. if you've got everything covered, then yes, apex is great. I love my apex!

What mark, gabe and Bruce said pretty well sums it up. What's your budget? Are you pretty sure you'll get one eventually anyhow?
Also, how tech/computer savvy are you? Not like you need to be a genius to make it work, but if you don't like having to do stuff w a computer or your phone to make it work then it may be something to at least think about putting off.
There are definitely other pieces of equipment that are important so don't skimp on other stuff just to get a fun gadget.

well in a world where money is "no object" then sure, if you plan on getting some sort of automation. However in a world where it could be the difference between getting an apex that will be nothing more than a fancy light timer, and possible a better skimmer, better lights, etc. Then I'd say absolutely no way should the Apex be a top priority.

If you are thinking of getting an Apex you need to look at what you plan on using it for, then calculate the cost of all of that, and ask yourself is that worth it. I do think there is something to be said about having to do things yourself though, at least initially when you're still learning how everything works. Plus there's always the chance you can score a used one down the road.

How big is your tank? I'll have a apex jr and a eb8 for sale soon.
With a few modules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love my apex.. they are also a local company.. Information is a big asset to helping you understand what your tank is doing. The data logging side of the apex aids you in looking at how your tank is changing and may help you see a problem before it becomes one.

I would jump on a "fancy" light timer as it gives you nice features for future upgrades, ability of pH monitoring/control, chiller/fan activation and other nice features.
And yes, deals on de-commissioned equipment are sweet

Thanks for all the advice. I guess though having an Apex controller sounds absolutely cool (and yes I'm a bit of a tech geek so the thought of monitoring/controlling my tank via my phone would be nice!) I've decided not to rush into getting one (unless I find a deal I can't refuse). Maybe it would do me some good to do things "by hand" first... learn to swim before buying jet ski's (sorry my analogy game is weak lol).

First off, I'm an software engineer and I love gadgets. And I don't have an Apex. I didn't get an Apex to start, honestly, because I didn't know how serious of a reefer I'd be. I'm still a technically a rookie, less than a year into it, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Here's what I can definitively say, You don't need an Apex to have successful, stable and functioning reef setup. I still have what some may call a non-mature tank, but so far after an early hiccup or two things have been running smoothly. And if you're curious, those hiccups were not something Apex would have helped me with at any rate. Just for the record, I'm not a believer in mature tanks, it's really more about how diligent you are at maintaining, paying attention to your tank, and applying logical/proven/sensible fixes to problems that arise (that are hopefully data driven). I buck the normal trend and I have no qualms about suggesting adding SPS from day 1 after your cycle is complete.

Here's what I have running that i believe would be covered by Apex if I had one.

* I use EcoTech lights and pumps with a reeflink, so I am able to schedule them via the web or my phone. I am pained that buying an Apex would require me to buy extra Neptune hardware module to control my lights and wave pumps (WMX controller). And even more pained that I can't control my return pump with an Apex because of incompatibility.
* I have 4 BRS dosers using Woods digital timers (almost old school) for Ca, Alk (soda ash), Mg, AcroPower
* I have a Seneye (that I really just bought for the PAR meter when it was on sale), but use for pH and temperature monitoring just for kicks - do I need it, not really. pH is somewhat useful as it could indicate something is wonky with my dosing.
* I use a Ranco temperature controller to handle an errant heater.
* I have a tunze osmolator 3155

And probably the most important thing is, while I don't chase numbers, I monitor my tank like a hawk, but I'm odd, I actually enjoy testing alk. :) That's pretty much the only number I test for regularly. Next is phosphorus, and then nitrate. I also keep an eye on my ATO and dosing containers to make sure they're not empty.

If I did it again would I get an Apex, maybe, maybe not. I am in the process of contemplating an upgrade to a 200 gallon tank and I'm looking into an Apex as an option. I still haven't convinced myself I need one.

Last edited:
First off, I'm an software engineer and I love gadgets. And I don't have an Apex. I didn't get an Apex to start, honestly, because I didn't know how serious of a reefer I'd be. I'm still a technically a rookie, less than a year into it, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Here's what I can definitively say, You don't need an Apex to have successful, stable and functioning reef setup. I still have what some may call a non-mature tank, but so far after an early hiccup or two things have been running smoothly. And if you're curious, those hiccups were not something Apex would have helped me with at any rate. Just for the record, I'm not a believer in mature tanks, it's really more about how diligent you are at maintaining, paying attention to your tank, and applying logical/proven/sensible fixes to problems that arise (that are hopefully data driven). I buck the normal trend and I have no qualms about suggesting adding SPS from day 1 after your cycle is complete.

Here's what I have running that i believe would be covered by Apex if I had one.

* I use EcoTech lights and pumps with a reeflink, so I am able to schedule them via the web or my phone. I am pained that buying an Apex would require me to buy extra Neptune hardware module to control my lights and wave pumps (WMX controller). And even more pained that I can't control my return pump with an Apex because of incompatibility.
* I have 4 BRS dosers using Woods digital timers (almost old school) for Ca, Alk (soda ash), Mg, AcroPower
* I have a Seneye (that I really just bought for the PAR meter when it was on sale), but use for pH and temperature monitoring just for kicks - do I need it, not really. pH is somewhat useful as it could indicate something is wonky with my dosing.
* I use a Ranco temperature controller to handle an errant heater.
* I have a tunze osmolator 3155

And probably the most important thing is, while I don't chase numbers, I monitor my tank like a hawk, but I'm odd, I actually enjoy testing alk. :) That's pretty much the only number I test for regularly. Next is phosphorus, and then nitrate. I also keep an eye on my ATO and dosing containers to make sure they're not empty.

If I did it again would I get an Apex, maybe, maybe not. I am in the process of contemplating an upgrade to a 200 gallon tank and I'm looking into an Apex as an option. I still haven't convinced myself I need one.

Thanks for taking the time to break down your tank system! Really helpful to hear from another rookie reefer. I might just use your tank specs as a template for mine. :)

If you are still curious, we are upgrading from an old AquaController to the Apex this weekend-ish, and would be happy to give you the AquaController for a song. It was a good learning moment for us to get the hang of what a controller could do. We have the EB8 for it, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are still curious, we are upgrading from an old AquaController to the Apex this weekend-ish, and would be happy to give you the AquaController for a song. It was a good learning moment for us to get the hang of what a controller could do. We have the EB8 for it, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Block, sent you a PM

So after all that talk about having me not having an Apex and not being convinced that I needed one, BRS goes an offers a preferred member doorbuster. 20% worth of reward points - so basically $160 back! Could not resist! Today only!

Capture.PNG

Back