got ethical husbandry?

Arin's Reefer-S 850 Build

Bought a couple pairs of suction cups for the move. I’m on the list to borrow the club ones but figured it wouldnt hurt to have a few just in case
Can come in handy to have around the house anyways. I've used mine to move glass table tops, lift glass office chair mats for cleaning, install mirrors, replace glass shower door, etc.

As far as the ReefMat goes - I'm curious as well. Their compatibility chart states: "Sump modification recommended: Remove Sock holders". I don't understand how that could mean anything besides - "cut out that section". I guess we'll see.
Might just mean removing the removable plastic sliding trays that hold the socks, that’s what I think of as the sock holders.

Still trying to find out when I’ll get to start the tank move so nothing major has happened but I did buy a few things:
  • UV - AquaUV 57w
  • Skimmer: Bubble King Double Cone 180
  • 72” radion mounting bar & hardware
  • 2 BRS 300w heaters (maybe should have gone bigger) & InkBird
  • DD jump guard pro & some neat aquatic feeding portals
I’m hoping I can have my wife send some guys from her company to get the tank off the crate this week so I can at least build the stand. We’ll see if that pans out or not … life’s been pretty busy.

Still trying to find out when I’ll get to start the tank move so nothing major has happened but I did buy a few things:
  • UV - AquaUV 57w
  • Skimmer: Bubble King Double Cone 180
  • 72” radion mounting bar & hardware
  • 2 BRS 300w heaters (maybe should have gone bigger) & InkBird
  • DD jump guard pro & some neat aquatic feeding portals
I’m hoping I can have my wife send some guys from her company to get the tank off the crate this week so I can at least build the stand. We’ll see if that pans out or not … life’s been pretty busy.

So many new toys! Setting up a new tank is always the fun part.

Turns out our plans for the weekend are cancelled so there's a solid maybe on moving the tank this weekend. If I can get the stand free in the next day or two to build it then possibility of a weekend setup might be possible.

Now I gotta sort out how I can get the damn stand freed from the crate

Turns out our plans for the weekend are cancelled so there's a solid maybe on moving the tank this weekend. If I can get the stand free in the next day or two to build it then possibility of a weekend setup might be possible.

This video shows a guy and his friend using two furniture dollies to move the tank to get access to the cabinet box. It might help.

I could probably help tomorrow morning

This video shows a guy and his friend using two furniture dollies to move the tank to get access to the cabinet box. It might help.

I could probably help tomorrow morning
I'd hate to ask club folks to come help just to get the tank onto a couple dollies... its pretty anticlimactic & feels like a waste of time for the generous club folks.
I have a few people coming over from my wife's work to get the tank onto 2 furniture dollies tomorrow.

If that happens I'll be able to build the stand and drag it into the room w/ my wife (I hope).

Once that's done I'll ping folks to see if I can pull off the actual move sometime this weekend. Timeline might be tight so it might stretch to next week.

So turns out getting the tank of the pallet was pretty easy. Me and 3 dudes from my wife's work were able to lift it up and onto the dollies in a few seconds. The suction cups were critical!

Hopefully I'll get a chance the build the stand tomorrow! (have to build an ikea desk for my kid tonight)

1643923158182.png

Stand’s mostly built. The process took about 4 hours, solo. I had the Boys from County Hell followed by Halloween on as background noise to help pass the time.

Most of the time was spent trying to understand wtf the diagrams were trying to say but the “labor” part was pretty easy.

image.jpg

Hopefully I can get it in the room tomorrow but it’s probably too heavy for my wife to help. Might be able to half lift half drag if I lay a blanket or something under it.

Anyways… gotta sleep

Well. I’m impatient… my parents are on their way over for dinner. But instead of waiting for my dad to help I decided to move the stand in by myself.

I lifted up one side, slid a brute trash can dolly under it then dragged it without making any contact in the floor. Once I got it half way into the room (1 stair climb) I put my dog’s bed (brown thing in foreground) under one side and pushed it in while keeping the other half from making floor contact

D23141D1-9BE0-4533-9B76-D00173973CC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Minor update… I finally got around to punching some holes in the wall behind the stand. In the end I put four 2” holes and decorated them with some furniture grommets.

21C3E965-6A07-4823-B5A8-368C535C6343.jpeg

47BA8AD3-C86A-47BB-9159-E81811F9A37F.jpeg

My goal is to have a bunch of my apex gear, ato and AWC setup in the garage, right on the other side of this wall.

I probably went overboard with the numbers of holes but they’re hiding behind the tank so no worries if a couple end up unused.

I think the next step is to get the tank on the stand. Taking it slow as that’s a pretty hard thing to undo and I want to make sure I’ve got my bases covered before that happens.

Oh ya… I also marked up the studs on the ceiling in preparation for the light rail.

image.jpg

I’ll probably end up using the second and forth set of studs as that’s as close to center as I can find.

View attachment 35430

My goal is to have a bunch of my apex gear, ato and AWC setup in the garage, right on the other side of this wall.

I probably went overboard with the numbers of holes but they’re hiding behind the tank so no worries if a couple end up unused.
You'll be surprised how much real estate the cords and wires will take up. I don't think 4 holes is too much. I highly suggest you plan out how you will group the wiring to be fed through the holes. Keep in mind of the items that need to be unplugged and removed for cleaning or replacing. Pulling the wires through the 2" holes when the tank is in place will not be fun...especially if it's bunched together with other wires and cords. I used two brushed wall plates to feed my stuff to the other side of the wall (the opening is roughly the size of an electrical box). If I had to do it again, I would install 2 or maybe even 3 of these guys instead https://www.computercablestore.com/...-V0CmmYKpSItUIXap0f0k_Xsuv4FjnHhoCdbcQAvD_BwE
Since your tank is not in place, I strongly encourage you to test feed some of the cords through holes to see if what you have in place is adequate.

You'll be surprised how much real estate the cords and wires will take up. I don't think 4 holes is too much. I highly suggest you plan out how you will group the wiring to be fed through the holes. Keep in mind of the items that need to be unplugged and removed for cleaning or replacing. Pulling the wires through the 2" holes when the tank is in place will not be fun...especially if it's bunched together with other wires and cords. I used two brushed wall plates to feed my stuff to the other side of the wall (the opening is roughly the size of an electrical box). If I had to do it again, I would install 2 or maybe even 3 of these guys instead https://www.computercablestore.com/...-V0CmmYKpSItUIXap0f0k_Xsuv4FjnHhoCdbcQAvD_BwE
Since your tank is not in place, I strongly encourage you to test feed some of the cords through holes to see if what you have in place is adequate.
Second this 2 to 3 cords and it’s a pain to fit another plug through. I use these as well on my boards.

Back