Kessil

Ball and Gate valves

sid700

Supporting Member
Hello. I buy my gate and ball valves from Ace. But after a while, these things can't close or open. I usually can't remove them because I like the slip kinds. I put the valves for convenience, but over time, the valve just becomes another pressure drop in my plumbing because I can't really use them.

Do the Spears and Hayward brands never get stuck? Or do they need to be switched on/off periodically? I hardly do this - should I be doing it?

Do they need acid baths periodically? I've only done this once or twice after a tear down.

What's periodically (weekly, monthly)?

I'm wondering if the Spears and Hayward valves are worth the investment.

I use the ones from Ace, HD, Lowes and thye have never stopped working, I do turn them once a week while doing water changes so maybe thats why

Both Hayward and Spears have various grades. The higher end Hayward are good. I steer clear of Spears of any grade.

I use Asahi America for my valves. They are pricier, but well worth the investment. I got a couple grand of them from a store closing down for a cool $300 :) Same ones you'll find at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and many other public aquariums.

http://www.asahi-america.com/ball-valve-type-21.htm

The Ace, Lowes, HD ones I have found to have much to large of a failure rate for me to use them. I've probably used over 200 of those valves and every single one has failed. Your experience is just like mine, they get harder and harder to close and get stuck after a while.

GreshamH said:
Both Hayward and Spears have various grades. The higher end Hayward are good. I steer clear of Spears of any grade.

I use Asahi America for my valves. They are pricier, but well worth the investment. I got a couple grand of them from a store closing down for a cool $300 :) Same ones you'll find at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and many other public aquariums.

http://www.asahi-america.com/ball-valve-type-21.htm

The Ace, Lowes, HD ones I have found to have much to large of a failure rate for me to use them. I've probably used over 200 of those valves and every single one has failed. Your experience is just like mine, they get harder and harder to close and get stuck after a while.

Ditto what Gresham said. Buy Asahi, they are relatively expensive but so worth it, especially if it is a valve you have to open or close with any regularity.

i got all my Asahi valves from Harrington plastics in Hayward. It ran about $20 for a 1'' ball valve but the quality shadows any ive seen come out of home depot. Im using spears only for my elbows and 45 angles.

Thanks guys. I'll try Harrington Plastics. I've been meaning to go over there. In the meantime, I'll be more diligent in opening/closing the valves during my water changes.

Back