Jestersix

BBQ info request

I looked at the Big Green Egg and it's look alikes Kamodo-style cookers.

Yup, I parboiled it first before doing the oven thing. Of course it was also the last time I will do something like that again.

I have a little gas portable grill, and planning on buying a regular old Weber for good ole barbecue. I have too little experience to mess with smokers right now.

If I were buying a first time BBQ and only getting one I'd probably go with a big green egg (or a really good knock off) and if that was too expensive I'd get an offset smoker because you can easily grill over the firebox of most. On mine they have grates under the smoking/bbq chamber too so you can make it one big grill if you prefer. The firebox side holds 2 very large steaks or 6 "normal" sized burgers. If you make the whole thing a big grill it will hold 15 pounds of meat easily. I can get 25 pounds or so of shoulder in it but that's pretty thick.

Check out the forums on the big green egg website. Lots of good info there including elder ward's pulled pork recipe which is wonderful. The other great thing about the Big Green Egg is that you can run it hot enough to use as a charcoal fired pizza oven!

I have always worked on Saturdays but I don't any longer so now I can actually start showing up at meetings. It's been so long that last time I was anywhere near a meeting it was with Jim at Eddie's place.....

I've had both weber charcoal and gas for years.

That said, the best chicken and ribs I've ever made come out of the oven.

I spent a lot of money and time trying to duplicate Gira Polli's roasted chickens. Thanks to the Best Recipe Cookbook and a bit of experimentation, I can now do a better job in the oven. We haven't bought a Gira Polli bird for a long time.

With ribs, the ultimate for me was Porter Street in Cotati. Then, a guy from Mississippi taught me about baking them in BBQ sauce in the oven. I played with the receipe for awhile and now everyone loves the fall off the bone ribs we make.

Eileen, if you want the recipes, let me know and I'll send them to you. At this point in my life, I'm enjoying the hands off predictable results of oven cooking (at least for chicken and pork ribs).

Best of luck,

Roy

Eileen,

Their offset smoker? It's similar to the other inexpensive offset smokers you find at the Home Depot type places. They're just "ok". Not all that great for grilling, and needs work/mods to be a good offset.

That being said, I do have a cheapie offset that I modded the heck out of. But I use my WSM(with minor mods) way more often than the offset. The WSM is way stable.

Decent offset smokers cost some big bucks.

Back