Jestersix

Because things always break on vacation

L/B Block

Supporting Member
This time the auto feeder. Almost all the fish gone including two blennies, one cardinal, and a mandarin who was prob wiped out by an ammonia spike is my guess.

The wrasse survived and one cardinal not looking so hot.

Just so irritating..

I’m so sorry. It’s important to have someone check on the tank in person when you’re gone because equipment made for the reef hobby is SO failure-prone.

How'd it happen? Did it dump too much food out?
No I think the food possibly congealed on the outside of the feeder (possibly heat?) and jammed it looking at the color differences between inside and out. It’s an avast feeder.

I think the wrasse survived on snails.

I’m so sorry. It’s important to have someone check on the tank in person when you’re gone because equipment made for the reef hobby is SO failure-prone.
we actually had a house sitter and I had her look at specific parts of the tank. Just not a daily roll call of the fish. Duh. I did know of one fish death -but not all the others.

Most fish should be able to go without food for 4 days without any issue. You might want to look for another cause.

I agree. Just unclear what would cause such a cascade? Had a couple week before die as well. The wrasse lives.

Ammonia spike perhaps. Fish disease?

In a established reef tank, ammonia spike is the last thing you need to worry about when fish die. Maybe some kind of disease, or nitrate spike.

In a established reef tank, ammonia spike is the last thing you need to worry about when fish die. Maybe some kind of disease, or nitrate spike.

What nitrate levels we talking?
I am apt to think more along the lines of fish disease as other invertebrates are still alive and well that would def be impacted in such an event. Will be checking all the same today.

Sorry to hear! Vacation for us Reefers are always stressful, I was lucky a few times that I was able to caught some issues(apex feeder, ATO, overflow box leaking) a day or two before vacation when checking the system.

Not sure if anyone can identify if the wrasse is impacted as well. Def see some..white specks. Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpeg
    IMG_2916.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 85
Can you get a picture under more white light or with an orange filter? But based on the speed of death and what I can kinda see here, it might be velvet. https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/marine-velvet-disease.12/
Not the velvet!!
Possibly. I was thinking-I had accidentally mauled a Yuma trying to move it -reading online under severe stress it can release toxins. Could it be enough to wipe out nearly all the the fish?

Under white light I think it looks ok?

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 94
Back