Cali Kid Corals

Best way to lower nitrates...

Hey guys and gals,
I was doin my weekly water testing and nticed a spike in my nitrate levels. they went from 0 to around 15ppm. Wondering what are the best steps to reduce those levels.
I am already running chaeto underneath in the sump with a light. Maybe a few water changes this week??

I have a 125 with a 45gal sump
Cheers

What's the resolution of your test kit first? If 15 was simply the next level I wouldn't call that a spike :D

Water changes are good, but I'm with Tony, find out what's causing it, too many fish pooping?

hows your PO4 levels look like? hair algae can be a major pain in the a$$...im with everyone else...find the source and treat it there...otherwise youll be in doing major waterchanges all the time...filter sock maybe? has anything died in your tank lately?

ive seen thread of people adding sugar, alcohol, and all sorts of other stuff into tanks for NO3 removal..but ive never tried any of this myself..

Brightwell recently came out with a product thats supposed to be better than dosing alcohol...but as stated earlier, its only a temporary fix..

FWIW i dont count on my fuge too much for NO3 export...i'm sure it helps, but not enough to support my system by itself..

Back