High Tide Aquatics

Black Cap Basslet: Given up on life?

Island Reef

Supporting Member
I added a Black Cap Basslet five months ago (quarantined from High Tide). He immediately went into hiding, and I've rarely seen him except for an occasional glimpse of him peeking out or his tail moving.

Last week, I found him out in the open in the corner of my tank, lying in the sand. I thought for sure he was dead, but then I saw his gills moving.

Following advice from some other forums, I set up a 10-gallon hospital tank and put him in there to chill for a while. He flopped hard in the net and darted around the temp tank, so at least he's got some pep in him. He then wedged between the rock and the glass, where he's been for seven days now. He moves around a little, but never outside the protection of the rock. I feed directly at his mouth, but I still have never once seen him eat.

My main tank's got quite a few hiding places, but I can add another if necessary. His tank mates are listed in my build thread. All my other fish are very healthy. I can't keep him in the temporary tank forever. He looks ok otherwise to me, except the white lines near the eyes seem more pronounced.

What do I do with this guy?

IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2229.jpegIMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg

Back