Our mission

Bottom dweller thoughts or suggestions?

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
I am looking to add some bottom dwelling fish to my tank. I wanted to see what you might recommend or had experience with. I was thinking of some type of jawfish like the black cap jaw fish or pearly jawfish. The other options I was considering would be some sort of goby such as a four wheel drive or watchman. Any other thoughts for possible options?
Tank size: Waterbox 180.
Current live stock: two swallowtail angels, three purple fire fish, 3 bangai cardinals, white spot puffer, labouti wrasse, red belly flasher wrasse, multicolor wrasse, lawn mower blenny.

Gerry

Yellow goatfish. They may get large eventually. The couple I’ve seen haven’t grow at all over a couple years tho so probably very slow growers

Guessing you don’t want anything too small given the size of the tank?
I don't plan on having any predatory fish in there. The largest fish will be the two swallowtails and eventually 1 or 2 tangs. I am not to worried about the size of the fish. Planning to add the tangs last to minimize aggression with new fish additions.

Forgot to add I have a Royal Gramma, started off as a baby 5-6 months ago. Now has doubled in size. It is between it and one of the cardinals as to who is the smallest in the tank.

Essentially, I am looking for a variety of fish that like different environments to try and reduce any competition. The wrasses are always out and about during the day along with the angels and puffers. The fire fish have their established caves they retreat to when necessary. The cardinals are basically cardinals, the only time they really move is when it is feeding time.

The lawnmower blenny is the only one who spends any time along the bottom, but he is pretty much all over the place. I don't have any real bottom dwellers so I think I have an area I could introduce some fish. The rockwork is secured so not worried about tunneling.

I have some ideas and did some research, but just looking for some other thoughts or suggestions.

Gerry

Captive bred scooter dragonet is my vote. Was always the favorite of non hobbyists when they saw my tank. I'd only consider shrimp or sleeper gobies if you don't care about sand being shifted around. My pink streaked wrasse spends a lot of time in the lower quarter of the tank too, but that depends on how aggressive your tank is.

Imho
Stay away from the goat fish. They get too big and will devastate your micro fauna population.
I would look into the scooter blennies
You can have a group and they will spawn in your tank
I’ve seen it...

Captive bred scooter dragonet is my vote. Was always the favorite of non hobbyists when they saw my tank. I'd only consider shrimp or sleeper gobies if you don't care about sand being shifted around. My pink streaked wrasse spends a lot of time in the lower quarter of the tank too, but that depends on how aggressive your tank is.
How have you liked the pink streak wrasse? It’s on my list of potentials alongside Yasha Goby and a Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish

Imho
Stay away from the goat fish. They get too big and will devastate your micro fauna population.
I would look into the scooter blennies
You can have a group and they will spawn in your tank
I’ve seen it...e few
Do they actually grow fast? The couple I’ve seen haven’t really grown much over a couple/few years

How have you liked the pink streak wrasse? It’s on my list of potentials alongside Yasha Goby and a Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
Fish is super peaceful and just kinda hangs around the other wrasses. Doesn't touch any crabs or shrimp either. I've wanted to try one of those geometric perchlets too since I read they're in the anthias subfamily.

I was thinking of picking up one of the pygmy wasp fish Kenny has at High Tide. Anyone have experience with these guys?
Gerry

I was thinking of picking up one of the pygmy wasp fish Kenny has at High Tide. Anyone have experience with these guys?
Gerry
"venomous and should be kept with care. They are reef safe with caution as they can eat small fish and inverts but will leave corals alone."

Back