Our mission

Brian's IM EXT 50 Gallon Lagoon Aquarium Complete Reef

Brian Dal Porto

Supporting Member
Well I did it, I took advantage of the IM sale and ordered a reef tank through High Tide Aquatics. Now I need to equip the rest of the system. I've already decided on the lights, AI Blades, 2 grow, and 1 glow.

The plan as it now sits is as follows:

• Tank & Sump

IM EXT 50 Gallon Lagoon Aquarium Complete Reef

On Order

Lights

AI Blades 2 grow and 1 glow

?

Flow Pumps

VorTech MP10 or Maxspect Gyre XF330 Cloud Edition

Heater

IM Helio PTC Smart Heater 400W

?

Skimmer

Maxspect Jump SK400 or Nyos Quantum 220 Protein Skimmer

?

UV Sterilizer

Pentair Smart UV 18 watt

?

Substrate

CaribSea Original Grade Ocean Direct Live Reef Sand

?

Rock

Marco Rock

?

I'm pretty sure about the lights and heater. But as you can see from all of the question marks, I'm still undecide on a lot of things.
I was putting all my thoughts in 1 post but it was getting way too long.
Please give me your thoughts on all of my choices.

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
It’s gonna be sweet!

I can’t make any specific recommendations as far as equipment goes. But one thing I wish I would’ve got is a DC powered skimmer with an external control for the pump. It just provides more adjustability.

I also see it looks like you’re not going to be running a controller. I don’t run one either. I do use Kasa smart power strips for my aquarium and then I can turn everything thing on and off with my Google home or phone and also set up feed schedules to turn off and on pumps and skimmers when I’m away. They also monitor power consumption so it can give you an idea if each component is operating normally when you’re away too.

If you haven't bought the lights yet, I think @Beanju still has a ReeFi Uno 2.0 for sale. Mount it around 14" and you'll have plenty of coverage on your tank for way less money than the blades (plus way more control over colors and more power if you want to keep higher light animals later). I use one on the same length of tank and am really impressed with its quality. The heater might be a bit overkill. For that size tank, you'd be better off with two 200 watt heaters with controllers for redundancy.

Also I would get the rock sooner than later, start it soaking in a Rubbermaid bin in the dark with some donor sand and rock from Kenny's system to start curing it. This will speed up your set up time.

Of course I have no idea what your experience level is with reefing, so I'd recommend some good books like the Delbeek and Sprung volumes 1-3 to start while you wait for things to arrive.

Welcome to the club!

The IM EXT50 is a great tank. Great start to your build so far. For skimmer, I love my Nyos 220 skimmer. It's not DC but works flawlessly as long as your water is at the right height. It's super quite as well. A Nyos 120 would be a good size for your 50g.

Also, I highly recommend the Red Sea Reefmat 500 for your tank. I have the 1200 model and it's a game changer for not having to replace filter socks. Has helped reduce my nitrates and phosphates tremendously.

It’s gonna be sweet!

I can’t make any specific recommendations as far as equipment goes. But one thing I wish I would’ve got is a DC powered skimmer with an external control for the pump. It just provides more adjustability.

I also see it looks like you’re not going to be running a controller. I don’t run one either. I do use Kasa smart power strips for my aquarium and then I can turn everything thing on and off with my Google home or phone and also set up feed schedules to turn off and on pumps and skimmers when I’m away. They also monitor power consumption so it can give you an idea if each component is operating normally when you’re away too.
Thanks, I hope so.
I already have a KASA power strip. I'm going to stay manual for the beginning but plan to get a Hydros later.

If you haven't bought the lights yet, I think @Beanju still has a ReeFi Uno 2.0 for sale. Mount it around 14" and you'll have plenty of coverage on your tank for way less money than the blades (plus way more control over colors and more power if you want to keep higher light animals later). I use one on the same length of tank and am really impressed with its quality. The heater might be a bit overkill. For that size tank, you'd be better off with two 200 watt heaters with controllers for redundancy.
Also I would get the rock sooner than later, start it soaking in a Rubbermaid bin in the dark with some donor sand and rock from Kenny's system to start curing it. This will speed up your set up time.

Of course I have no idea what your experience level is with reefing, so I'd recommend some good books like the Delbeek and Sprung volumes 1-3 to start while you wait for things to arrive.

Welcome to the club!
Boy, you make good suggestions. I'm pretty settled on the Blades I like they can be moved front and back to spread the light, it is expensive though. I'll get in touch with

Beanju.​

I like the IM Helos 400W because it has 2 elements. I do keep looking at 2 elements with 2 controllers. Planning to connect the heater controller to a KASA power strip so I can monitor the power to get some redundancy.
I would love to get my rock now to soak but I'm in an apartment right now so no room.
I kept saltwater fish in the late 70's but everything has changed so much I am a nube. I like reading so I'll order those books.

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
The IM EXT50 is a great tank. Great start to your build so far. For skimmer, I love my Nyos 220 skimmer. It's not DC but works flawlessly as long as your water is at the right height. It's super quite as well. A Nyos 120 would be a good size for your 50g.

Also, I highly recommend the Red Sea Reefmat 500 for your tank. I have the 1200 model and it's a game changer for not having to replace filter socks. Has helped reduce my nitrates and phosphates tremendously.
That Nyos skimmer is on the shortlist. I've taken a liking to the Maxspect Jump SK400 but not decided yet. I don't think I need one on day 1 but soon after.
I wish I could fit a filter roller on the sump but the sump is really small. Not going to have filter socks, I won't maintain them.

Thanks
Brian

Okay, first topic, flow pumps.

Seems like everybody loves their Vortech pumps. Not many have the MP10 so I'm not too confident that they are good. The other problem I see is that they are not direction-adjustable. There is an after-market attachment that makes them aimable which should fit that.

I like the Maxspect Gyre XF330 Cloud Edition. I think if they are mounted vertically in the back corners I'll be able to get flow everywhere with future adjustablety for when the corals grow.

Not many have the MP10 so I'm not too confident that they are good.

I am not sure I can boost your confidence in mp10s but I will say I have had several and liked them well enough that I purchased the larger MP40 when I needed more flow. They are expensive and nice pumps that do not require a cord in the water. Its all about your flow and aesthetic goals. It seems like a lot of reefers enjoy the gyre style pumps as well.

I have seen the 4D Aquatics adjustable flow shroud but have no experience with it.

Seems like everybody loves their Vortech pumps. Not many have the MP10 so I'm not too confident that they are good. The other problem I see is that they are not direction-adjustable. There is an after-market attachment that makes them aimable which should fit that.

I like the Maxspect Gyre XF330 Cloud Edition. I think if they are mounted vertically in the back corners I'll be able to get flow everywhere with future adjustablety for when the corals grow.
The MP10 is an excellent pump.

I've used MP10s on my tank since they came out in like 2010 and they're great. Still using the original one from them, but of course have replaced the wet side since them. I run them 20min on alternating flow so there isn't much ramp up noise/pulsing. They're pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

Love my Vortechs. However, for your EXT50 which has 10mm thick glass the MP10 max glass thickness is 9.5mm. They’ll fall off and not operate correctly. I think they won’t move enough water for your tank size either. I’d recommend a MP40QD or some type of gyre. I’m a fan of the Reefwaves.

Back