Neptune Aquatics

Brushing Algae

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
So, two days ago I was hands in the tank brushing GHA the old fashioned way: with a toothbrush. I knocked over several frags and broke another. Then, my trigger jumped out. (He’s fine)

Needless to say, it was very stressful and I’m not looking forward to doing it again. Is anyone?

There has to be a better way...

So, it occurred to me - a small rotating brush that can reach all those crevices without my fat hands in the tank.

How about something like this - with a brush at the end, not a drill bit:

33130821b8edf4ab96a8ede524255a96.jpg

Has it been done before? Does something better exist? Pitfalls? Am I just asking for trouble?

Fish of hex used a similar extension but with a dremel in order to remove an encrusting monti from a large part of their rock work and didn’t die. I tried finding the video cause I remember him having some warnings but can’t seem to find it :(

Interesting idea. My guess is that there might be some type of lubricant/grease inside the extension of the one pictured that will leach into the tank. It will probably rust within the enclosures...looks hard to clean and dry out. Maybe this will be better?

Fish of hex used a similar extension but with a dremel in order to remove an encrusting monti from a large part of their rock work and didn’t die. I tried finding the video cause I remember him having some warnings but can’t seem to find it :(

Yeah, I have a dremel with a flex shaft but it’s not suitable because it’s fat at the end.

I think something semi rigid would work best - or together with a wand like those on par meters.

Yeah, I have a dremel with a flex shaft but it’s not suitable because it’s fat at the end.

I think something semi rigid would work best - or together with a wand like those on par meters.
I just asked on his live stream. He had used a 3D printed part. His lawyers suggested that he didn’t sell it cause the risk of electrocution. And then he said if he used it again he would want someone else holding the dremmel to control on/off and ensure it doesn’t get wet

I think there’s a war being waged between the Chaeto and the GHA.

This is what I think happened: I got lazy about flipping my Chaeto on a regular basis. When I finally paid attention to it, 90% of it was gone. During that time, GHA started proliferating.

Since then, I’ve added Chaeto and I’ve been pulling GHA manually every week. I believe the tables are starting to turn in favor of the Chaeto.

Great ideal!

Dremel has brushes too. I wonder if that’s better. You don’t have to hold the trigger and they have a wand/extension too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long handled toothbrush, with attached rod if you need it longer?

I’m wary of putting anything metal with spaces you can’t clean and possibly grease/etc in the tank.

Back