Jestersix

Calcium level of 600+

Hey guys, I just tested my waters right after I found my mushrooms shrink to a nub, and I found my calcium today at 600+ ppm. anyone know a safeway (besides water change) to bring them down. everything else is at a nominal level.

here are my parameters right now.
Temp: 78deg
Gravity: 1.026 (just under 35.5ppt)
calcium 620ppm (OMG!!!)
Alkalinity: 9 /196.9
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5ppm
PH: 8.0
Phosphates: 0 (thank god for purigen)

I did just put in a home made media basket that was superglued together, which was the last thing I did -- I heard that superglue doesn't leech into the tank, so I'm not sure -- you guys tell me.

I'm kind of at a loss now, should I pull my media basket out? it now sits in chamber 2 of my tank, and chamber 1 still has it's pad water is kinda whitish cloudy, but not like milky, almost like a slight haze.

I have no tests for alk/mg -- all I got is the api master reef kit. anything I can do to get those readings? some chemical concoction? I did dose the PH/ALK buffer 2 nights ago since it was a bit low, (alk was at 6 and ph was 7.x so I thought to buffer before the water change.

I'm confused. Do you or do you not have an alk test kit? First sentence says you don't, but last says you do.

Assuming your last statement is correct, and you trust your test kits, raising your alk properly with either soda ash or baking soda will help lower Ca. Water changes are also good to do to correct parameters. Better to adjust slower than too fast unless everything is crashing. Adjusting too fast can cause a crash.

Having a really high Ca without dosing Ca says that either your test kit is wrong or your salt is naturally really really high in Ca. ...or you are not using your test properly.

What salt mix are you using?
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9439

Are you dosing any source of Ca (CaCl or kalkwasser etc?)

Gomer said:
Having a really high Ca without dosing Ca says that either your test kit is wrong or your salt is naturally really really high in Ca. ...or you are not using your test properly.

What salt mix are you using?
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9439

Are you dosing any source of Ca (CaCl or kalkwasser etc?)

I guess I didn't understand completely. since you wrote alk/mg -- I understand I have alk which is the carbonated hardness test-- but the mg I don't.

I'm using D+Dh20 salt mix along with the RO water from a place where I've always got water from (some vietnamese water dispensing store in campbell) -- a little ahead of winchester and hamleton.

I did dose liquid calcium about 3 weeks ago, but that shouldn't matter at this point i'm guessing. I'll retest the calcium again, but it's just strange.

-- update --
okay redid the test, and it's about 560-580. it's a lot lower, I might have miscounted, but still a bit high --

Mushrooms can care less about your CA levels for the most part.

GreshamH said:
Mushrooms can care less about your CA levels for the most part.
*scratches head* then I have no clue what may be causing this problem =/ maybe they may just need to take a day to get use to the water change again. feather duster is consistently hiding today as well, came up for a good few minutes, but dives back in afterwards.

Back