High Tide Aquatics

Can't get flow dialed in!???

Yes let’s do this. It’s not that weird to have some panels tempered and some not. I think they just use what they have on hand that is the right size sometimes.
I forget which brand box I got recently from aquatic collection, but I liked it. Might have been eshopps? There are some options out there, especially if you have time to order online.
I really prefer the “external box” type with either 2 or 3 drain holes so you can minimize the in tank part of the box and keep the drain really quiet and have a lot of flow through it pretty safely (as far as pumping saltwater through glass boxes near electricity indoors goes lol)
The hardest part would be to drain the tank part way. I prefer to drill when empty and the drill can be facing downward, but I’ve done tanks just like this would be without fully draining before just fine
Thank you so much for the help! I will find a good overflow box and gather the materials. My schedule is kind of crazy right now with the end of the semester and the holidays. I'll DM you after the new year to set up a good day to get this done. I can drain about 1/3 of the tank comfortably without major disruption of the reef. I can drain further if necessary. I'll just have to put the rock & corals in a bucket for a bit.

Drilling fixes lots of problems. I'd make sure you do it at a time when you have lots of time flexibility. Especially if you get help from folks here who have expertise it'll likely go well, but can always go not well and then you need to rush a tank swap.

Well, I shortened the overflow hose to make it flow in a straight path from the overflow box to the filter assembly, all downhill. The pump return chamber is a little more stable. But, it is still varying by about 3/4" going up and down slowly. Looking forward to trying something else so I can start using the ATO!

Back