Reef nutrition

Changing the PH

My tank ph is at 7.79 and I’d like to see it at about 8.2 . Based on what I’ve read using sodium bicarbonate I can raise the alkalinity of the water by using 1tsp per 5 gallons.

1. Is this what you’re dosing with ?
2. How often do you dose?
3. How much per gallon?

Randy

Sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda will lower pH.

Sodium carbonate aka soda ash will raise pH. You get soda ash by baking baking soda to burn off some CO2.

Both of these are temporary rise and falls until your system equilibriates...but with continuous dosing, it does help achieve certain pH baselines.

But to @ashburn2k 's comment. What's your alk atm?

The reason people are asking about your alk is that dosing with either carbonate or bicarbonate will raise your alkalinity, and having the proper and stable alk is much more important than hitting a target pH.

Dosing is basically never the final solution to raising pH, since all effects are temporary until your system equilibrates to CO2 in the air again. If you have to dose for your alk anyway then picking the one that raises alk (carbonate) can help a little.

The main reason our reef tanks have a lower pH than do real reefs is because the CO2 levels in our enclosed homes are much much higher than the open ocean. Using a CO2 scrubber on your skimmer air intake, or getting air from outside to bring into your skimmer are 2 common ways to sustainably raise pH.

Also make sure your pH readings are accurate, pH meters are notorious for drifting and requiring recalibration.

Some quick replies...

@JVU thank you for explaining this. I am in limbo between my first “entry” setup and going to a more sophisticated setup.(I am actually building the cabinetry right now for the new tank)

entry level setup:
MP40
V3 hydor power head
Fluval fx6 with extra bio media in shelves
200w heater
Kessil ap700
Apex full

I will need to *manually* test the alkalinity to provide you the most accurate answer.

thank you,
Randy

if your tank is by a window, id try to draw outside air and connect it to your skimmer intake first before going into a co2 scrubber. keep in mind, the soda lime will need to be replaced regularly depending how fast it will turn purple. you would have to account for the price of the media in keeping higher pH values. i change my media out almost every 7 days and i bought the 5gal soda lime media from https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/...MI8_qWk-Ge7wIVYj2tBh1hzAhOEAQYASABEgLaNvD_BwE

depending on what your alk level is, you can also dose kalk (picking lime - limewater) to maintain pH and alk/cal levels as well.

Last edited:
if your tank is by a window, id try to draw outside air and connect it to your skimmer intake first before going into a co2 scrubber. keep in mind, the soda lime will need to be replaced regularly depending how fast it will turn purple. you would have to account for the price of the media in keeping higher pH values. i change my media out almost every 7 days and i bought the 5gal soda lime media from https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/...MI8_qWk-Ge7wIVYj2tBh1hzAhOEAQYASABEgLaNvD_BwE

depending on what your alk level is, you can also dose kalk to maintain pH and alk/cal levels as well.

I do not have a skimmer in this setup. I do have access to a window near bye.

I'd try avoid an airpump if possible. Salt spray from popping bubbles is a mess. Try getting a power head to create significantly more surface agitation first.
My next build will be significantly more advanced. I happen to have 2 gyre pumps for the new build. This is only 55 gallons so I can throw in one those pumps in the mean time.

I don’t want to invest anymore in the 55 gallon setup that won’t directly transfer over to the 130 gallon I am building.

Last edited:
My next build will be significantly more advanced. I happen to have 2 gyre pumps for the new build. This is only 55 gallons so I can throw in one those pumps in the mean time.

I don’t want to invest anymore in the 55 gallon setup that won’t directly transfer over to the 130 gallon I am building.

nothing to invest, just moving and changing the angle of your V3 hydor power head to point at the surface to create more surface agitation. Make sure water surface is breaking to encourage good gas exchange. Run that for a day and see if pH improves.

Last edited:
nothing to invest, just moving and changing the angle of your V3 hydor power head to point at the surface to create more surface agitation. Make sure water surface is breaking to encourage good gas exchange. Run that for a day and see if pH improves.

Randy... always good to meet another one.

I moved the power heads up in the tank up to the top 2 inches below water line. This is causing the water to airate naturally. I for sure am
Seeing more air bubbles created. Going to see how this affects PH.

thank you for the suggestion!

Randy

Back