got ethical husbandry?

Chemical Cycling

kinetic

Supporting Member
Thanks to Norman, my tank has cycled in record time with all dry rock! No live rock to start with at all. Just a combination of marco rock and reefer rock.

I used ProLine Ammonia Chloride from Aquaticeco.com. I dosed about 8ppm every other day, and then added a 55g dose of Marineland Bio-Spira. My ammonia levels started dropping pretty fast within a week, and within 3 weeks it was dropping from 8ppm to undetectable within 24 hours.

My nitrites took about 4 weeks to start falling. They were off the charts for those entire 4 weeks.

Now I'm able to bring my nitrites down within a day after about a month and a half, dosing 8ppm of Ammonia daily, my bacteria population is solid.

This is a great way to cycle the tank! You have so much control and can really push the limits.

I've also just hooked up a RDSB (Should've done this in the beginning) which will now reduce the final nitrate stage. The NNR effects of the RDSB should kick in in about 4 weeks. Given I set this up in the beginning, it would've kicked in at the same time my ammonia / nitrites were under control.

So I'm thinking February or March I can finally add my first animals!! Can't wait =X

Let me also mention, most people will have just started adding their animals after 8ppm of ammonia went all the way down to nitrates. This is what a usual cycle is. If that was the case, I would've been cycled in 3 weeks. What I was doing was waiting for a high bioload equivalent of 8ppm of ammonia a day to be reduced to nothing within 24 hours. This would occur if I dumped in a bunch of tangs, anems, and other high quantity poopers all at once... they'd probably survive (if my nitrates were also in check =).

it's actually a bucket:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129130&view=findpost&p=1392745

(post 326 in case it doesn't come up correctly).

It's a 4g bucket, but has 9.5" deep sand bed. 10" x 10" x 15"

One of my bulkheads has a very slight leak, I'll have to replace it tonight =P Otherwise it's working well. I should've drilled the drain slightly lower than it is, I'm getting funny gurgling once in awhile (not noticeable when the bucket lid is on).

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2719.msg28534#msg28534 date=1198003193]
Cap it up and drill another hole; lower this time.
[/quote]

Well, I don't want to go lower, because then my sand bed will be below the 8" minimum for a NNR RDSB to work properly.

I'm probably going to have Gen at KritterTanks make me a nice tall bucket to maximize the space I have using his scrap acrylic. I'll probably just paint over it to make it opaque. I'll probably stagger the outlet a little bit, and add an external durso to it.

Back