Neptune Aquatics

Clam lovers...My crocea needs help.

IMGP4047-1.jpg

The most recent picture of Chowder. You can barely see the tan/white splotches on the mantle. It is much more visible in person.

I was also thinking what might have caused this, and I remembered that the person I got it from had a major tank crash. He lost almost all his corals except for this clam, mushrooms, and anemones. I am wondering if the stress of that system crash affected the clam and it took some time to show signs of it?

Eileen, thanks for the offer. If I do not see improvement soon, I may need your babysitting help. :) S/He is a good clam, and will not make a lot of noise. ;D

Has anyone had to rescue a clam before, and how long did it take to show signs of improvement? I'd like to know how long I should give it before I pawn chowder off on someone else.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=5568.msg73018#msg73018 date=1231278380]
Hi Arnold,

Yes, I found out that my Alkalinity was really low. I fixed that and it seems to be doing better. The splotches are still there, so I am wondering if it is a lighting issue also. I have started feeding it Phyto Feast. I turn off the flow and pour the diluted plankton in over the clam. I have noticed that when the flow is off, the clams mantel puffs out alot more. I do not know if it is reacting to the Phyto Feast, or wanting more light.

[/quote]

Oh no don't do that. Clams are very particular to how many cells they allow in (clogs their gills and leads to expelling pseudo-feces which is a net negative on their energy budget (DEB)). Too many and they simply close up and don't feed. Too many particles of any kind and they won't feed. The best option is to leave the flow on. Most likely what your seeing is the flow tends to keep them closed up a bit more. Less flow makes them feel like there isn't any predators around IMO so they open up. Unlike corals they do have muscles to help them breath so flow isn't as a big deal to them. Low alk is a big deal though, glad you caught that.

Thanks for catching my error Gresham. I wanted to make sure Chowder got some before the skimmer took it all away. I'll unplug the skimmer when I feed and let the water circulate. How long should I leave the skimmer off?

I have been feeding half the recommended amount, about 5 drops in a 10ish gallon tank. Chowder has not closed up during feeding, so I guess that is a good sign. He did initailly blow the first couple times, but doesn't do that anymore. I will make sure to put it in flow and not on him from now on though.

BTW, Spaghetti worms love Phyto Feast. I didn't know I had any in the tank until I started feeding Chowder. :D

you could also move the clam up closer to the light. It can take months for clams to recover...but it only takes hours for it to die...so the fact that its still kicking is a good sign. 30 to an hour with no skimmer should be fine.

Phew! Thanks Arnold. I feel a little better about Chowder's situation. I think I'll try to move it closer to the light...this might be challenging in a 12 gallon Nano. There are only so many ways the rock will fit... New Aquascaping - here we come!

BTW, Clams can't get light burn like corals, can they? They'll just close up more, right?

How do you measure the right amount of light for the clam? How far should the mantle extend?

[quote author=Apon link=topic=5568.msg73064#msg73064 date=1231296027]
Hell - what am I talking about...no skimmer can work too. : )
[/quote]

??? What ARE you talking about? Do you mean I should keep the clam in a skimmerless tank?

Wow Arnold,

How much of the water did you have to change to maintain water quality? I have thought about going skimmerless in this little tank, but am afraid the proteins will get too high. It is my sps tank too. It doesn't produce a lot of skimmate, but I just attributed it to the size of the tank and the ineffectiveness of the skimmer. However, the tank is fishless right now, so maybe it doesn't need heavy skimming. I only feed the clam and the Banded Coral Shrimp.

Do you still run your clam tank without a skimmer? What are your clams attached to? Mine was attached to a small snail shell, but it popped off, and is now on a piece of LR. I think it is attaching to it because I see some fine filaments sticking to the rock. Once it sticks on, I can't pull it off without killing it, right?

You don't really need a skimmer for that little tank. I don't have a skimmer for my 10G tank. I don't think I will use one in a 40G either. I have one but it will be only for emergency. If you do WC every week or 2, you should be fine. I went 4-6 weeks without WC and it's ok but I have a lot of macroalgae.

BTW, very nice clam :) ..

Are you using a H.O.T. style skimmer or one that is in a "sump". The best way for "sump" skimmers is to put your return pump on a vacation timer with only the "on" tags in it so when you manually turn it off it will turn back on in 15 minutes or how ever long you want :) That is the least where one skimmer pumps which tend to use pricier impellers, especially NW skimmers :)

I have a HOT skimmer- the Remora C Nano. I don't know if I can fit another timer on the strip though. You know, all those lights and fans and pumps and such...

Will a timer work for a HOT skimmer too if I can get it on the strip?

Gresham, how long do you feed your clams for before turning on the skimmer again?

I never turn my skimmer off, even during water changes or cup cleanings. I use a push button fan time (usually found in a bathroom) that does 10, 20, 30 and 60 minutes. I added a relay to it so when it turns on it kills my return pump. I only use it when I do water changes now so my media reactor pumps don't pull air in. I don't use that for feeding anymore as I don't really care if my skimmer pulls some out. Guess what I'm saying is don't ask me I get it for free :) Try adding some Arcti-Pods first. They kill skimmate production for a short spell.

Arcti-Pods? You mean the jelly-like substance they are in will prevent the skimmer from working for a while?

The A-C Nano is OK, but I like the regular size better. It could be that my little tank doesn't have a lot of proteins in it to begin with. The nano tank also evaporates quickly, and the skimmers efficiency is affected. Only when water levels are highest, do I notice better skimming. I have thought about removing it from the Nano tank and trying it in my 28 gal tank to see if it is as good as the regular sized ones. If and when I do, I'll let you know.

BTW, what is your opinion about removing the skimmer on my 12 gal. nano with clam and sps'? Do you think it will adversely affect the water quality to the point of endangering its' inhabitants?

Arcti-Pods are the orange artic copepods we sell. The oils (orange color) do it ;) The "goo" is simply agar which breaks down into food for the bacteria (carbon source).

Skimmerless nanos are pretty much the norm IMO. You just need to keep up on weekly water changes.

Lynn my clams are big and attached to nothing now. My tank is older and I change about 5-10 gallons a week- still no skimmer. Not much for a 120. If your clam is doing ok, don't change anything since you just raised your alk. Better to have only 1 variable change at a time.

Back