High Tide Aquatics

Clownfish - best practices when a mate dies?

splitting_lanes

Supporting Member
my 16 year old female clown died this weekend, leaving a male mate single in the tank.

the male hosts in the corner like they did, but doesn’t have the mate to chase around, swim with, etc.

i had the female single for at least a decade of her life, but I thought she was a little happier with a mate.

should I get a new mate? Leave the male single until he becomes a female then get a mate? Or? What are your suggestions….

i think the female I lost was a pretty big part of the bio load, so there’s that too. I could always get another fish that’s not a clown. Thanks

Even though it’s only been a day? I guess I’m asking a dumb question assuming that the non-dominant clown would become the dominant clown that quickly.

I added a new clown fish from Clearwater Aquarium, the two clowns are hanging out now, not much show of dominance by the existing, larger clown.

I think the existing clown is happy to have a new pal/mate. I also think when you loose the most dominant fish in the tank, like the 16yo clown that died, it’s a good time to add new fish because the pecking order is pretty non-existent for a bit.

thanks for the tips

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 106
Back