Neptune Aquatics

Co2 scrubber folks

Id be interested to learn about the reactor technology after you've had a chance to review it. I fashioned a DIY Dual C02 scrubber by using my old 3-stage RODI with new fittings and media tubes.

I bought the 5-gallon C02 media from med-vet - seemed to be the most economical and lasted longer for me than both the TLF and BRS media. It also has a much better color change contrast than both (for my eyes anyway)

I didn't know about this media. Any downsides from using it or is it pretty much better in every way?

after thinking about it, I would be surprised to see rechargable media. I mean the main industrial purpose of this is to sequester CO2, if you some how are able to release it later you're not exactly sequestering it.

I didn't know about this media. Any downsides from using it or is it pretty much better in every way?
For me- I wanted bulk because my containers are big, and I was really dissatisfied with the color change contrast, how much the TLF cost, and how long it lasted in my setup. That made it better for me.

Interesting about the humidity. After @sfsuphysics mentioned rechargeable media I was looking into it and there is a polyamine material that is used to like smoke stacks and other industrial buildings to scrub co2 and the media is also more efficient at higher humidity. It sounds like an interesting candidate but there are only a handful of journal articles about it and I no longer get access to those through school.

How will this device be controlled? Through it’s own interface or will they design it to integrate with existing controllers somehow
The device has its own controller with the function of maintaining humidity to the optimum level required by the media. Its basically a stand alone reactor.
Turning off the power will have the reactor route the air to the dry outlet(room air).
Am working with them on adding more control to give me the option to a 3rd state which is media bypass.
So basically the reactor will have 3 states
Media bypass
Using media with Humid air injection
Using media with Dry air injection

The device has its own controller with the function of maintaining humidity to the optimum level required by the media. Its basically a stand alone reactor.
Turning off the power will have the reactor route the air to the dry outlet(room air).
Am working with them on adding more control to give me the option to a 3rd state which is media bypass.
So basically the reactor will have 3 states
Media bypass
Using media with Humid air injection
Using media with Dry air injection

Do you ever sleep Omar? Dang dude!

And my question is how would this be better than a scrubber controlled by an Apex with a solenoid? Besides the humidity control...
1- You remove the dependency of the solniods which they get stuck over time
2- you have humidity control which is something that improve both ph and effectiveness of the media.
3- all in one solution no jeed to different parts and failure junction

I have tried the solniod path, and trust me its pain. From how you will creat the tee so when soloniod is off ur skimmer still get air, to keeping an eye on the solniod of it get stuck..ect

Last edited:
I am using the BRS deluxe canister at the moment. The highest PH I get when I fill up new media is 8.39. It will go down slowly to 8.1ish after 2-3 weeks. So how the Japanese C02 reactor will help me? How high of the PH the tank can handle?

This is how I connect my canister to my skimmer lid. Lid remove for take picture only.

Attachments

• 1AB1CCFA-002E-46AE-8501-11ADC90C69FB.jpeg
    1AB1CCFA-002E-46AE-8501-11ADC90C69FB.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 160
I am using the BRS deluxe canister at the moment. The highest PH I get when I fill up new media is 8.39. It will go down slowly to 8.1ish after 2-3 weeks. So how the Japanese C02 reactor will help me? How high of the PH the tank can handle?
I cannot analyze your usecase for you.
I do not even understand if you are stating a problem or you stating that your are happy with your co2 scrubber..
To me such reactor will give me better media life through bypassing media when ph above my target level
better media effectiveness through the controlled humidity inside the reactor.

Last edited:
I just want to show my setup (again recommend to me by Rostato) that is work at the moment but I have no control of how to save the media since the media just barely support to get the PH to 8.3ish. I like the idea of the electronic control and interest to buy one but wonder if it worth the money to invest in.

I just want to show my setup (again recommend to me by Rostato) that is work at the moment but I have no control of how to save the media since the media just barely support to get the PH to 8.3ish. I like the idea of the electronic control and interest to buy one but wonder if it worth the money to invest in.
Its hard to judge if its worth the money or not..a least not yet.
If I get the bypass function yo me its worth the money. If the only value is humidity control..it might not be worth it. I will still get one either way just to try.
My advice is to wait till I get one, test it and see how it works. Then will share the data with everyone. Then u can decide..
As I said to me, having all in one solution, humidity controlled operation, have a bypass feature are worth the money snd peace of mind..

Solenoids are not ideal. The problem is that most available are "normally closed." This leads to a very big heat source that I worry about causing a fire.

I don’t understand the heat source part? How and Why do they heat up? I’ve never used one.

Because they are "normally closed" they need to be energized for long periods of time. Sometimes they may never turn off. Most of them out there are mechanical relays made of metal. That constant flow of electricity makes them heat up significantly.

I decided not to go with a solenoid because I could not find a "normally open" one. There are probably ways to make it work, but I had to stop myself from continuing further down the rabbit hole, and work my way back out of it.

Back