Neptune Aquatics

Corner Aquarium?

kvosstra

Supporting Member
The new house might be better with a corner tank, instead of a typical flat wall tank. Does anyone have one, and can comment on what they like and dislike about their current tank. Would you buy the same tank again or a different tank?
I'm thinking of the 55-90 gallon Corner tanks, i.e dimensions of 24" L and W and 18-24" H.

Any comments and feedback are appreciated! Thanks everyone!

I have seen many bow-front tanks. I don't like them. They distort the view and make it difficul for me to look at. It's all personal preferance. If you can find one, I recomend a 5 sided corner tank.

For once I fully agree with Erin. I had a 54 g bow corner and the visual distortion gives you, or at least me and most people that viewed it for extended peruods, a bad head ache.

I have my hex on a wall with the point towards the wall so I can see in all sides. I would not want two sides out of view for finding aptasia, and other pests. If the tank opened with windows to other rooms behind it then it would work for me.

I have the 54g Bow front corner tank. Check my tank journal for photos. I do like it though I agree that the distortion when viewing from certain angles can be distraction. Up close examining a single coral I don't notice the distortion too much. I have my rocks set up in a U-shape with a nice sand patch in the middle for a large open brain coral (as seen on Wikipedia!--such a geek, there was no picture so I took one and posted it). With the U-shaped setup I think I have more visible "front" area than I would if I had a straight tank. Downside, perhaps, is that most of that area is lower light levels.

Finding sufficient T5 HO lighting for the 54 was difficult (ended up with AquaticLife 4 Tube 30") given it's depth and shape.

Yes I would now like the 92G and, of course, one came up on Craigslist about a month after I started setting up my 54G.

Also to bear in mind is that the 54 is not available pre-drilled and the Aqueon furniture for the 54 doesn't really accomodate do-it-yourself drilling. The 92G was upgraded a while ago to bottom drilled drain but not everyone selling them is selling the drilled model. Make sure you know which you are getting.

Thanks for the info everyone - well, seems like the bowfront is not well received. I need to do a little inspection of the floors and see what 92+g would do in the corner of my bedroom. Also, as usual, wife approval is key. Unfortunately, there is not as active of CL community here in Philly as there is back in The bay area...hmmm.

Really good suggestion! I looked at a 30x30x30 cube once...hmmm
I already have a few extra 24" T5 bulbs, reflectors and at least 2 extra ballasts...I could easily run 8x24 in a 24x24 tank...and get total light overkill! Thanks Zepp...this might be the right suggestion! However, I did find a nice looking 120 corner.
Wife approval, and cost, to some extent, will likely be the deciding factor!

Anyone have a cadlights tank? the 50 cube? Or, any recommendation for a nice cube tank (does not need to be rimless)

Thanks!

From what I've seen build quality on the cad lights tank isn't so great. I would look into getting a custom tank. AGE or Miracles in glass would both be good choices.

One of my friends bought a cad tank and he said the delivery sucked. The first 2 tanks were delivered broken. Finally the last tank came in undamaged. He said it came in a box all foamed up. :~ Wasn't even in a crate.

Ive heard a few stories of broken cad tanks via shipping. One the sump was out inside the stand with out and protection or packing matetial. Broken sump.

Your not super far from NYC. I can set you up with a custom tank builder in NYC.

I have a 50g cadlights cube and it has a very good build quality. Perfect black silicone, smooth edges, everything is straight and even everywhere, no artifacts in glass, overflow is very good, etc.

I bought mine lightly used (1-2 month) and can not comment on delivery/packaging.

Their stand is on the cheapo side, not worth buying. But the tank is 100% worth the money. Get it if you can find it locally.
I know several stores in Bay Area sell it, so may be your LFS have those too.

Not that I know of. I am looking at a 90g non-bow corner tank - Just need to decide on whether I like that look, or the Cube better.

I have always wanted a cube, so it might be the better decision. We have not even moved in yet, so still some time to make the decision. All your input so far has been extremely helpful, so thanks everyone!!!

zepplock said:
I have a 50g cadlights cube and it has a very good build quality. Perfect black silicone, smooth edges, everything is straight and even everywhere, no artifacts in glass, overflow is very good, etc.

I bought mine lightly used (1-2 month) and can not comment on delivery/packaging.

Their stand is on the cheapo side, not worth buying. But the tank is 100% worth the money. Get it if you can find it locally.
I know several stores in Bay Area sell it, so may be your LFS have those too.
I guess its hit and miss then. From what I have seen in person the quality is just so, so. The corners on the tanks I've seen do not match up. Silicone is also a bit sloppy. On top of that they use 3/8" glass which for a tank of that size has a marginal safety factor. It would be much safer if they at least did an internal euro brace at the bottom of the tank.

If you have the room, why not a 3'x3' "cube"? Plenty of viewing space on each side and it's amazing the aquascaping you can do with something like that. IIRC 3x3x2 is 120g. Depending on what you're keeping, one 250 or 400w halide in a lumenarc pretty much covers it all.

Mitch - I had a 4x3x2 previously, and love the 36" of depth. Not sure the space I have in mind can support that size of tank though. I also need to get in the basement, and check out the space I have for the sump, etc. before I would consider something that size. Wife wants this tank to be seamless, no cords anywhere, no drops of water, etc. I promised that that could happen (knowing that is was mostly a lie).

LOL!

Back