Jestersix

Cube Tank yet again...

Call me nuts...
So while surfing CL I came across a cube, a 36x36x27; Starphire glass, reef ready, brand spanking new! Price is just too good to pass at $350, in fact, the person selling it has TWO cubes that size, another deep tank 48x36x27 and if that was not enough, two 110's with cabinets, all new!
So, should I jump for it?
If I do, I would need some help to load it and and most important, unload it and into the basement.
If someone wants to pull the trigger on the other cube or tank, maybe we can work something with the person, he has a truck and a flat trailer. Person is willing to meet in Davies if only one tank is to be purchased

Ahhh those are the Marineland Deep Dimensions tanks. I was initially really jazzed about getting one, although thanks to Central Pet it was not going to happen (way back when), then I started reading a lot about the DD tanks having seal issues... now how true that is who knows, maybe just a matter of the loudest voices are the only ones that get noticed.

That said I loved my 48x36x24 180g tank, just too bad it was acrylic. And while a glass version of that is tempting (and I don't even known the price) if it was the 5 or 6 foot version I might jump on it just because.

Looks like the guy bought out a fish store going out of business though :D And Mario looks like you missed a zero, it says $3500 not $350 :D

Ahhh those are the Marineland Deep Dimensions tanks. I was initially really jazzed about getting one, although thanks to Central Pet it was not going to happen (way back when), then I started reading a lot about the DD tanks having seal issues... now how true that is who knows, maybe just a matter of the loudest voices are the only ones that get noticed.

That said I loved my 48x36x24 180g tank, just too bad it was acrylic. And while a glass version of that is tempting (and I don't even known the price) if it was the 5 or 6 foot version I might jump on it just because.

Looks like the guy bought out a fish store going out of business though :D And Mario looks like you missed a zero, it says $3500 not $350 :D

$3500 for the entire lot, I asked him about the sole cube and got the $350 reply.
@euod I would not mind keeping it there.
I'll check if he's willing to deliver to SF for the two cubes.

DD tank, 48x36x27, Starphire glass for $425 !
He is willing to deliver for a fee since some other people have expressed interest.
That DD tank is pretty tempting.

will they have a warranty?
I just replaced a 150DD due to a seam leak.
And the first one that was delivered did not have the overflowing glued in place
Aside from that, the dimensions of this tank is wonderful.

That would be the million dollar question I guess Erin.

So this is the list of what he has:
2 cubes, 36x36 Starphire glass, corner OF $350
2 110G one with OF one regular, black stand and canopy available for these two. $275 tank only
2 200G DD tanks $425
The delivery fee would be $200. Obviously if no one else wants a tank, I'll pick it up.

Last edited:
Probably no warranty since it's third party, but it does seem to be new so who knows. And the fine print for most tank manufacturers is that they will only give the "extended" warranty (i.e. the one they plaster all over the place, usually "Lifetime") if you use THEIR stand, which are often costing more than the tank. Case in point the add says $3500 for the 4 tanks and stands/canopies, yet the cost of the tanks is only $1250?

200DD is tempting, but I think I need a bit longer tank, plus I'm not a really big fan of the corner overflow (which means the bottom pane is drilled).

If you look close at one of the images, you can see marked in black $2200, guess that was the price of the lot? But he mentioned to me the additional two DD 200.

Corner OF are some of the worst but can be plugged, Gusty did that with his tank, I believe a DSA tank.
The warranty, well that sucks that it's only valid if you buy their stands but in any case, the price makes it very appealing since that particular tank (200g) retails close to the $2k
I would consider taking a chance like that as finding a nice "used" tank in brand new condition, I state used because as such tanks, this one would not have a warranty anyway.
I've read on RC about the issue with some Marineland tanks, scary indeed but a similar issue was discussed on RC about Oddysea MH fixtures a few years back; the horror of them catching fire... I had them in the past and none came close to a shorted arched wire, moon LED's did die.

Hmmm, plugging the overflow, never thought of that. Yanno what, I think I might be interested in the 200 then. Assuming it isn't all janky used. I've been looking for a "large" tank but not wanting to pay "large" money, or more important long term "large" expenses of a big tank (extra lighting, heating, etc). I did pretty well with a 48" x 36" x 24" tank, so make it a few inches taller and should be good.

Also is the 200 starphire as well?

I'm going to be unavailable next weekend (chasing the eclipse), and then school starts up so fairly busy, so let me know some details about everything, I have a SUV but not sure I can get a 3' wide tank in there. Either way, send me a message with some details.

Last edited:
Back