Our mission

Cyano issues

Nope, E.M. is gram positive, the majority of your nitrifying bacteria are gram negative, oddly enough cyano is gram negative, but for some reason it responds to macrolides.

Euphyllia said:
I always get cyano after setting up a new tank. I don't really care anymore because It is extremely easy for me to get rid of. Just go buy some chemiclean cyano algae killer for $10. It kills it all in a day for me and all you have to do is a water after it has been in for two days. It is completely reef safe.

While reef safe the use of antibiotics to clear up a problem algae is a poor use of something that can turn around and bite all mankind in the behind. Society all ready uses far to many antibiotics and it surely doesn't need a hobby using a more ton simply get rid of a problem they can cure by dealing with their tank with their brain. Cyano is a problem with root causes. Find the cause and you'll solve the cyano.

Doubt the super bugs will effect my generation in a major way, but yours is square inline with it. We all ready have strains of staph that are incurable that are typically gotten from hospitals, hence the common name hospital staph. Think aids is bad, just wait until a real nasty one gets loose and we loose millions in a short period of time.

We all ready have a lot of drug resistant bugs out there, don't make them even more scary please.

Heh, isn't he at least just using the oxidation method rather than the antibiotic method?

But I do agree with you that
Gresham said:
Cyano is a problem with root causes. Find the cause and you'll solve the cyano.

phishphood said:
Heh, isn't he at least just using the oxidation method rather than the antibiotic method?

But I do agree with you that
Gresham said:
Cyano is a problem with root causes. Find the cause and you'll solve the cyano.

Who? Euphyllia? I quoted him as saying he uses Chemiclean which is an antibiotic.

So which one of you is correct then?

tuberider said:
A_Lee said:
Gomer said:
Which antibiotics work from the LFS for red cyano?

Isn't Chemi-Clean, or Red Slime Remover basically an antibiotic? This is what I was informed of anyways -I can't vouch for how credible that is.

To my knowledge both are advertised as erythromycin free, they rely on an oxidant to destroy the bacteria and IME are not as effective as antibiotics.

phishphood said:
So which one of you is correct then?

tuberider said:
A_Lee said:
Gomer said:
Which antibiotics work from the LFS for red cyano?

Isn't Chemi-Clean, or Red Slime Remover basically an antibiotic? This is what I was informed of anyways -I can't vouch for how credible that is.

To my knowledge both are advertised as erythromycin free, they rely on an oxidant to destroy the bacteria and IME are not as effective as antibiotics.

see PM

I've had moderate luck with Red Slime remover, but it seems to come back. No problems with tank crashing though.

What I found that worked was buying a ton of nass snails. I threw about 150 in my 100gal and within a week or two there were no signs of cyano. Also added a good amount of hermits at the same time, and they were helpful I'm sure, but I think the snails turning the sand bed did the trick.

Shows up on the walls every once in a while, but doesn't last more than a day or two. I think the cleanup crew is keeping it in check.

Back