High Tide Aquatics

DBTC Extreme - Aussie monti

Ibn

[move][size=24pt]DBTC: X-treme Edition ![/size][/move]

Got the original piece from Clint Conway up in Napa at Diamonds in the Reef. I split the colony with Boun and am keeping most of mine intact. It's growing underneath and the shavings will be from there. This monti has been changing colors since it's been in the tank.

What it original looks like; parts of it had a green look to it, making it look like a reverse sunset.
Aussie%20Monti.jpg

Then the green got more intense.
aussie_monti_pp1mo.jpg

Took off two weeks for the holidays and came back to a different looking coral. The base has been intensified ever since, showing a royal purple and the polyps have gone a reddish/orange coloration.
aussie_monti_020608.jpg

Two small frags of this will be shaved from the bottom and I'll hold them for a week (just to make sure that it doesn't croak) or until the next meet for distribution.

Who do I want to get these frags?

- you are a BAR member
- you have started 5 or more SPS/LPS DBTC, or
- you have put back 10 or more(same or different) 2nd/3rd generation SPS/LPS DBTC, or
- you will start a DBTC with 2 tiny frags of something from this list:

Dinosaur Egg monti, Blue Matrix acro, Baby's Breath favia, etc. If you use this option, you may make the frags as small as you are confident that they can be propped.

- you are totally comfortable with propping tiny pico frags
- you commit to returning two 2nd generation frags to DBTC
- you agree not to sell this coral
- you may trade frags of this coral for comparable uber rares, but any coral you get has to go into DBTC :D :D :D

This coral has been in my tank under 150W 10,000k and 14,000k Phoenix bulb. Seems to be a decent grower so far. Try not to have anything touch this. I've had the shades of fall nasuta, oregon tort, and the EPM touch this piece and each time, this monti has been on the losing end.

Eric, the blue one is a different monti.

We sneaked in to your place while you were gone and switched a Bali fake Superman for your green Aussie :D

Haha, nice one, Norm! I'm gonna take a shaving and put it into my sump where there's less light and see if I can get the base to go back to green as an experiment of sorts.

Fragged it a couple of days ago. Both pieces are doing well and will be delivered at the next meeting.

1. Wayland
2. Tom

I have no idea either. It might go back to green under less intense lighting. I noticed that the pieces on the underside have cream color bases, like in the first picture.

Haven't taken any pics of the sump since setting it up.

Here's what it looks like before being plumbed.
sump_a01.jpg

Left compartment is for chaeto/grape caulerpa, middle for frags, right for probes (pH/temp/ORP/ATO). There's a mag rack in the center compartment where the frags sit. To the right of the sump, a 70W MH fixture lights it up (reverse light cycle). There's a ricordea on the bottom of the sump and also a colony of Blasto merletti.

Also, floating in a plastic floating container is perhaps a future extreme DBTC as well.

maxi_mini01.jpg

:)

Yup, schedule 80, just in case. :D

It's a maxi-mini carpet. Bigger than a mini carpet but smaller than a full grown one. Hits about 3" max and does not host (unless you want to feed it).

There's only a handful of them around. :)

2nd gen list:

1. Zepp
2. Levi

You can frag these babies by pedal cuttings. I have good results by cutting a small section of its foot, but leave the cutted tissue on the rock and it'll grow in to a new one about 6 weeks.
Same for the more fragile red/pink yuma. HTH

That one is what it looks like precut. ;) That was cut in half as close as possible to speed along recovery.

There's actually two of them in the sump at the moment. One is going back to the owner and the other I'm keeping and growing out for culturing.

Back