got ethical husbandry?

DIY LED Light Fixture

So the final of my LED stuff should be coming at the end of the month, I need to get working on my fixture. I was thinking of doing an acrylic one, but I'm unsure of what thickness to use.

The base will be 20"x10" with a 7.5" X 13.25" hole for the LEDs to shine through The heat-sink is about 6 LBs. Since my LEDs aren't all here I'm not sure how high I'll have to place this fixture from my cube so I cant really plan the legs yet, but I'll probably just use some think acrylic. I'm sure I can use 1/8th think acrylic for the rest of the body, but how thick should my base be? Could I get away with using PVC or is it not strong enough when heated? The heat-sink is already tapped to be hung so I could go that route, but I don't know how to make a fixture to hold it.

Sfork said:
Since my LEDs aren't all here I'm not sure how high I'll have to place this fixture from my cube

What is the foot print of the tank, the foot print of your LED array, and what are (if any) the optics you plan on using

No optics. The heat-sink already has a little legs so i don't need to do anything on the inside to keep the LEDs off the plastic.

Tank is 20" W X 16" H X 16"ish(bowfront)

Heat-sink itself is 9" (7 5/8" led area) X 13 3/8"

!BgT9M3gBGk~$(KGrHqMOKiEEr)ThlC0,BLE)hHzV3Q~~_12.JPG

edit: Oh the led array will be 12 RB X 12 Q5 it's gonna be cramped but I have a 190mm fan i'll be using

Yeah, that whole waiting for things to show up bit is kind of putting a hold on my LED project, I want to make doubly sure I know exactly what I want before I order, hearing stories of 3-4 weeks for delivery sounds outrageous to me.

I have one tank with a 150w halide over it and just some softies and a couple leathers (way over kill I know!) I'm thinking of just buying one of those Evil/Nanocustom screw ins over it. The other tank is a 10ish g nano cube (non-brand name :D), don't think that will work over that because I do sort of want a hood on it.

Yeah, too bad those screw-ins came out AFTER I started buying stuff. I'm sure I could have modded a nice flexible fixture.

Back