High Tide Aquatics

Do all houses have a breaker box somewhere in them? And how to change outlets to grounded?

2 topics rolled into one. So I'm starting to rent a house and I'm figuring out where to put the tank. Then it hits me....2/3 of all the outlets are the old fashioned 2-prong style. That's not gonna cut it. So while I'm still debating whether to DIY it or have landlord call electrician or what, I come up with the solution that if I'm going to even look at the inside of them, I should turn the power off. Then comes up the second problem....can't find the breaker box....anywhere. Looked all over the garage walls, and in every room in the house. At least the bathrooms have GFIC's....but still no box. Only place I haven't checked was a stand-alone bar addition that is in the backyard, but that really shouldn't be the place for it, should it? Any help on where to find it and/or replacing the outlets would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

First, I'd call the landlord to see what he can do, say you're worried about the lack of a grounding plug.

As to the breaker box, yes every house has one, or at the very least a fuse box (same thing really). Go outside look where the power comes into the house, it should be fairly close to that location.

As to the grounds, first I wouldn't worry terribly much, the neutral really is a ground. The only thing that the 3rd prong grounds is any sort of metal casing (computer, powersupply, etc) the idea is if a wire gets loose inside, you could very well be the path to ground if you touch it.

If you want to put in your ground simply find a cold water pipe and ground to that, they specifically something that clamps on to a pipe (whether copper or galvanized) and you run a similar gauge of wire (IIRC you can use one gauge smaller for grounds, which is a larger number)

sfsuphysics said:
First, I'd call the landlord to see what he can do, say you're worried about the lack of a grounding plug.

As to the breaker box, yes every house has one, or at the very least a fuse box (same thing really). Go outside look where the power comes into the house, it should be fairly close to that location.

As to the grounds, first I wouldn't worry terribly much, the neutral really is a ground. The only thing that the 3rd prong grounds is any sort of metal casing (computer, powersupply, etc) the idea is if a wire gets loose inside, you could very well be the path to ground if you touch it.

If you want to put in your ground simply find a cold water pipe and ground to that, they specifically something that clamps on to a pipe (whether copper or galvanized) and you run a similar gauge of wire (IIRC you can use one gauge smaller for grounds, which is a larger number)

I thought water source grounding was a no no now a days?

Not to mention using a water ground like that creates not only extra EMF in the house, it breaks down the pipes IIRC.

It very well could be, the grounding clamp for the pipe was bought a few years ago and typically they don't sell things that are against code when there's only one use for it, but codes change all the time. Sometimes for nothing less than making it less easy for DIYs to work such that you NEED to call a pro.

I do know that your supposed to have a physical ground rod driven in the ground now, and you shouldn't use your cold water pipes for ground to the whole house as you can very easily cause corrosion, however for a single outlet, probably not going to be an issue. But as I said, best thing talk to the landlord, make them pony up for an electrician.

yeah it could be in the back.. My parent house, it's in the back yard.. They just had it replaced. They also installed the subpanel inside the garage so they don't have to go all the way to the back just to reset the circuit.

I would call the homeowner and ask him to see if it's ok for you to do replace anything in the house.

Thanks guys, I'll try to get them to pony up for a pro. They seem really laid back though and not really concerned about the house as long as it stays whole and we don't burn it down. So is it dangerous for most other appliances to just use a 3prong-2prong converter? I'll make sure to get the aquarium stuff grounded, but other than that....

Also, I know the breaker box isn't in the bar in the back. That has it's own little 2 switch breaker box. Is there any chance it would be up in the crawlspace? I'm running out of places to look... :(

It shouldn't be in a crawlspace, it should be in a location that's easy to get to, easy to access. Any chance it's outside the house? Maybe in a box outside?

As to the 2 prong thing, I wouldn't worry at all.

I'll check all the outside walls again tomorrow (not quite moved in yet), but I didn't see any before. I've literally checked out every wall on the interior side though.

My friends house it's in the laundry room.

Mine is at the service entrance to the house outside.

Last few house
Broom closet by back door
Garage
laundry room
in my bedroom....grrrr
hidden behind a false wall and only found it by crawling the attic and tracing lines....grrrr

Really hoping it's not like your last one Gresham. But when I head over there, I'll wear long sleeves and pants and bring a mask just in case (peaked into the crawlspace and it's DUSTY)

I might be wrong on this, but you can NOT enclose a junction box without direct access to it, i.e. some sort of cover. I'm guessing that would also apply to a breaker box.

My parent's old house still has fuses I believe... that bad boy was built before the Airport was there :D

Nope you can't, but then again you are not allowed to run anything off a extension cord for anything longer then just temporary power. How many of those do you see daily running appliances as such :) Code only matters when you want to sell you seek a permit that requires inspection. Not that I am advocating breaking code as it's in place to help all of us :)

dude, get a GFCI to start. then go get yourself some renter's insurance

my building isn't grounded either and just has those old crappy 2 prong plugs. my landlord is too cheap and would be happy to just collect the insurance money if the place were burn. i've been using an adapter for years now without issue.

Call me crazy but doesn't a GFCI require a ground and thus useless for replacing a 2 prong plug that is not grounded?

My suggestion is to follow the wire coming down from the pole and see where it leads.

seminolecpa said:
Call me crazy but doesn't a GFCI require a ground and thus useless for replacing a 2 prong plug that is not grounded?

My suggestion is to follow the wire coming down from the pole and see where it leads.

You're so crazy...and correct :lol:

You're both crazy, you do *NOT* need a (third-prong) ground for a GFCI to function properly. NEC does require the outlet be labeled as such though (ungrounded)

But what a GFCI does and what the ground does are two separate things.

Back