Neptune Aquatics

Do you mount your MH ballast?

Just curious what people are doing with their MH ballasts. Are you mounting them in the stand? In the canopy? sitting behind the tank? etc...

Right now I have my 2 sitting on little plexi platforms I made inside the stand. They are sitting about 3" above the floor of the stand in case there was a major flood.

Also, the new Lumatek ballast doesn't really have mounting holes, just little slots, kind of weird.

Thanks all,
Jay

I have mine mounted in my stand, it really depends on the setup. I have a few customers that have extra molding on the tops of their canopies tho hide the ballasts on top of the tank so there's minimal wiring.

AFA the slots, I think it's for easy removal, how do you like the slot right under the bulb feed wire :D

On my SPS tank no... but that is just a huge cluster muck of cords that I thought was going to be cleaner when it ended up just looking like one of those cable conduits you see in the basements of buildings running hundreds of cables through them :) (Actually I got very weary of potential noise due to my RKE fiasco).

On the soft tank, I decided to do it... mounted them upside down in fact! :D But not in the stand.

If you do mount them just be mindful of how hot they can get, maybe even put some spacers in and simply mount to that to leave a bit of empty air behind them.

When I had 175W MH the e-ballasts were mounted on the wall, the new ones are enclosed in an Aluminum box donated from a dead dual 250W Mag (One transformer died and the other one is stored along with the capacitors) and are already fixed inside the stand; two unused IceCap 250W (old style)
Although is way bulky, no wires and caps show and is a cleaner look; I'll snap a picture and post it

So they don't get to hot on top of the canopy? I'm concerned about the heat generated by the lights rising up and heating the ballasts.

I have a plan to move mine on top of my canopy. Its not in the best spot right now as it is in a smaller cabinet and gets too warm. A task for today.

Back